Riesling S.G. What’s up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenbean

Reaction score
I started a Rieslingconcentrate last thursday.That is 5 days ago at the time of this post. The starting S.G. was 1.1 . Today when I checked it,it was at1.0 . I used ec1118 and I expected a fast fermentation but nothing like this. Is it normal for Riesling to ferment in overdrive?Also could the CO2 gas in the must give false readings?

ChrisEdited by: greenbean

Yes, the CO2 can cause the hydrometer to float a little high, giving a lower reading, but 5 days to 14% is not uncommon for EC-1118. For a moreaccurate hydrometer reading, the sample can be filtered through a cloth or coffee filter and also shaken to dissipate gas. The beginning SG sample should also be strained. Is this a kit or canned or ...?

smiley25.gif

It is canned. I figured what the hay, I like Riesling. I'll give it a shot.

Oh. BTW CW,

My blueberry sherry is goining to be awesome. I'm preparing to start a bigger batch now. I had a funny feeling I should have made 5 gal. to start with.

Chris

Sounds good. The smallest batch I usually make anymore is 3 gallons. Just curious about the Riesling. Keep us informed about it.

Back