Cellar Craft Removing grape pack from primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1973

Reaction score
So its time to rack my CC Amarone out of the primary! Whats the best way to get the grape pack out? From what I see it looks like its a simple as reaching in and squeezing the juice out of the bag. I would assume I should rinse my hands in sulfite solution before I do so. It just seems a little odd to reach my hands into a batch of wine but I guess there is enough alcohol to protect it now.

When I made my CC Malbec I just cleaned my hands and reached right in the fermenter. I just started my CC Amarone yesterday and I just emptied the grape pack right into the must without using the straining bag. When I rack I'll just put the bag over the bottom of the racking cane.
VPC

Well, it was actually pretty easy. Was able to get a good amount of juice out of it too!

vc,
How did that racking go? I'll bet it was tough to get anything thru the bag into the cane!

I haven't racked the Amarone yet. Started this last Friday and there is still way too much activity to even consider racking this to glass. When I do rack I'll just put a straining bag over the bottom of the racking tube and siphon. I have done this before with one of my son's meads without difficulty and it was a whole lot messier looking then this one. Believe me tropical fruits like mango and papaya can get down right mushy. After racking I'll dump all the leftovers in the straining bag to squeeze out all the juice so I don't lose anything. All else fails I'll just go to plan B - dump it all through the straining bag into another fermenter and rack to glass.
VPC

Latest posts

Back