Port Vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryG

Junior
Reaction score
I'm new to home wine making, and have been a big fan of Ficklin Tinta Port for several decades. Naturally I'm curious how some Portuguese varietals would do here in east/central Oklahoma.

I have found on the UC Davis grape registry the varieties that I am interested in trying; Souzao, Tinta Cao, Tinta Madeira and Touriga.

I'm thinking of starting with 5 of each. I believe it would be wise to graft them onto root stock.

Does anyone have any advise, or should I stick to more local varieties like Muscadine & Niagara... Any and all input is appreciated!

I'm 10 miles S/W of Fort Smith AR. Gentle hills. Rocky loamy soil.

I haven't done a soil analysis yet, but we plan to this spring.

Scratch your idea of doing Portugal vines there. Grow norton/cynthiana and make port from it. It will make a great port. Those vinifera vines I don't think will work in your climate.

There are some wineries here in central TX that make very good port style wines from the Black Spanish (Lenoir) grape. You might plant some and see how they do for you.

There are much better white grapes to use than Niagara also. Big in the area to the north of you is Vignoles and chardonel. I recommend you check out bunchgrapes.com, Lon Rombough's old site. I also recommend his book with varieties listed.

There in Oklahoma, you can go to the county AG extension to Oklahoma State University and possibly OU and they can help you determine what will and will not grow in your area. Just contact your county and ask how to contact the AG extension.

It is pretty much a waste of time to plant something there if it is not the right climate for it.

Vignoles makes a very fruity white even if done dry and chardonel is very straight forward white like its parent chardonnay or sauv blanc. I recommend both but they make different styles depending on what you prefer.

Side note on the chardonnel, make sure you put it on root stock. Many people planted them around my area without as advised but most have been lost to various problems. It has opened quite the market so I have ordered 300 on 3309 for the spring.

Latest posts

Back