Pinot undergoing a Malo?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinVin

Reaction score
I think my Pinot Grigio may have started an MLF on its own. Is this common? What is the best test to verify what is actually happening? If it is an MLF, should I try to stop it?

For some reason I can't find the notes about the SG reading I took in early May when I determined the alcoholic fermentation was complete - but I added Kmeta and Ksorb at that point. It has been sitting under airlock since. I just racked it again on Sunday, but I hadn't noticed any bubbling at that point - so I didn't bother taking any readings or adding more Kmeta. The wine is warmed up to about 75*F.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I can't help you on this but, maybe someone with more experience with MLF will give you a suggestion. :a1

Thanks for the reply (and bump) anyhow, Mike! I'm not sure if it is an MLF or if it actually was able to begin fermenting again. I thought it was dry and I added the sulphite so you wouldn't think it could, but....

I haven't had time to take another SG reading the last few days, but I'll try to this evening.

Why do you think it might be in MLF?
Is it bubbling or what?
What was its last SG reading when you thought it previously was finished fermenting?
It doesn't sound like you took an SG reading in order to determine if fermentation was completed... that is not the way to do it. You shouldn't try to go by how much it is bubbling.

I would take an SG reading now. If it isn't dropping, it is not a normal fermentation going on.

Have you already degas the wine? It could be that since you have warmed it up, it is just expelling CO2, assuming the reason you think it is in MLF is that it is bubbling.

If you added the correct amount of KMeta, it is not likely in MLF, but...

Last edited:
...I'm beginning to think that it isn't an MLF, but rather it continued/restarted its alcoholic fermentation.

It is bubbling. Little bubbles. Not a whole lot of them, but consistent and there's a partial ring of tiny bubbles at the top in the neck of the carboy. It already sat in the carboy for over a month - so this amount of bubbling seems to me unusual and excessive for mere degassing.

Right now the SG is 0.996 (corrected for a temp of 77*F.) I can't find the notes from the SG when I racked and stabilized it during the first weekend in May, but I never stabilize until I get a reading of least 0.997. I did take a shortcut with this one in that I didn't take multiple SG readings to make sure it was "done" and I may have forgotten to correct the reading for the temperature since I was pressed for time when I did it. (Consider that a lesson learned!)

Also, now that I've thought about it more, at this last racking (weekend before last) - which was about 30 days after stabilization - the lees were a little heavier than I have seen on other whites from Bello Chilean juice.

It smells and tastes fine. I suppose I just let it go and I'll mix in more kmeta after a bit.

Back