Pineapple/Mango with excessive sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first batch of pineapple/mango. It is all from canned juice. 4 gallons of pineapple and 2 gallons of mango. The juice was relatively clean at first. However, the more it fermented the more floaters and sediment it created. There is nearly 6 inches of sediment in the carboy. I've fermented many juices with fruit in the bag that created less sediment than this batch. Is this a normal issue with pineapple? The fermentation is done so I racked 3 gallons off the top. I'll rack again in a few weeks and get as much clear wine after it settles some more.ImageUploadedByWine Making1424063286.979409.jpg

I forgot to mention this batch is only a few weeks old. Started on 1-24-15. I did also use pectic enzyme during the first 3 days before I added bentonite. This is pretty typical for most my fruit wines.

Time to rack into a gallon jug. Mango always throws a lot of sediment, if you want 3 gal better start with 5. If your other wines are this bad what kind are you making? Are you bagging the fruit and then going King Kong squeezing the bag to get every last drop out? Make enough extra volume in the primary to account for the lees. We also make some generic topping up wines, like do a 3 gal batch of Niagra or blackberry, even overoaking it and using just for topping up. WVMJ

I was stating that the process of using pectic enzyme for the first 3 days then adding bentonite was my normal process. I've never had this much sediment. Too bad Mango produces that much sediment. I'll know for next time. I'm certainly going to wait as long as I can for them to settle as much as possible. I want every drop of wine I can get!

I make mango wine fairly regularly and as mountaineerjack says, I always get a lot of sediment, I tend to use mango concentrate and apple concentrate mixed, but, its definately the mango that throws the sediment.

The mango I`ve used tends to taste a bit like schnapps for a few months as it seems to have a lot of slow fermenting sugars in the brand of mango concentrate, if left long enough, it ends up like white wine, My friend has recently made some, based on my recipie but, used a different make of mango juice, his tasted like white wine, with a hint of grapefruit, it also fermented faster than mine usually does.

To keep the schnapps like taste, which I like, I add sodium metabisulphate and potassium sorbate, then bottle it with some sweetness still remaining. (s.g. of 1.02 to 1.05) depending on taste at the time. As above it takes a few months to ferment until dryness ive found.

Despite the sediment problems, mango is one of my favorate wines, which I make fairly regularly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back