Oxygenate during bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DELETED

Somehow I knew there was a reason I quit posting to the winemaking sections of this forum. :)

Amazing how easily things start getting overthunk :ft
All ya gotta do is ask yourself "what would Friar Tuck do??" :?

So, I've been doing a lot of winemaking reading. Both forums and in books.

I recently read a big benefit of aging in a oak barrel is that it allows just enough oxygen into the barrel for proper oxygenating the wine during the bulk aging process.

In a glass carboy with airlock. I'm guessing that does not happen. The only way I would think to get oxygen to the wine would be popping off the airlock briefly. (though I have no idea how much that would provide (or needed) or how often it would need to be done if that's what it needs) I've also seen where some people don't rack during the bulk aging stage unless they believe it needs it. That would suggest (by ignorant deductive reasoning) that their bulk aging provides no oxygenating of the wine except when it was first put into the carboy.

So, how do you properly oxygenate wine bulk aging in a carboy?

I ran across this thread today and I'm curious if you pursued your quest for micro oxidation at home any further. If so I would love to hear about it.

I think I've heard of folks using small aquarium aerators. Also, I think an extra racking or two would help.

I think I've heard of folks using small aquarium aerators. Also, I think an extra racking or two would help.
Yeah, I saw a YouTube video where some guy was building one with parts he bought from Petco. I did read somewhere that you want to avoid introducing too much oxygen at a time after stabilization so racking may not be the best solution. If I find the article I'll post it.

Latest posts

Back