Old B's Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWMINNESOTA

Reaction score
In the beginning there are cuttings....two each of Niagara,Prairie Star,Baco Noir,Leon Millot,Marechel Foch,and LaCrosse. Limited in space, so if they make it they will be spread around the house. Who needs a lawn when you can try and grow grapes!
smiley36.gif

20090411_133532_100_1022_Small.jpg

Thanks to a few members that have done this, there are pretty good instructions and advise on how to root these. Did get a good deal on the Niagara, so donating a few of those to Farmer, said its one he doesn't have going. Wish me luck!

Too bad you aren't closer JW. I have been pruning and there would be thousands and thousands of cutting for somebody wanting to go out and clean them up.

I'm a bit surprised that you can grow those varieties. I thought you were as cold as NW there. Must be warmer where you are at.

Here's wishing you luck with your rooting and then growing them into wine!

You need to get some St. Pepin going also- better than the LaCrosse!

Today I pruned St. Pepin. Catawba and GR-7. I also started sticking cuttings that I have been callousing. I did a total of 750 to start with, about another 2000 to go.

Way to go Ole b**tard!

Good Luck JW....Hope to see many more photos of your vineyard.

You are at least in Zone 4-5 down your way....

Nice up here on de-tundra lately....We are still cleaning up the yard...no planting yet.

These should do OK here if they make it. I got them from a nice lady down in Grand Meadow MN, about 50 miles south of me , and east. I think NW you are about 350 miles north? Time will tell, butit should be a good learning experience if nothing else. Wont be much of a vineyard, stuck wherever there is a place!
smiley36.gif
Wonder if anyone would mind if grapes started growing in the city parks? Appleman, think id rather help at harvest than spring pruning.
smiley4.gif

In the future when you have lots of cuttings you could 'hide' some vines in various places....
I am sure friends would let you grow some on existing fences, open areas...etc.
Possibilities are endless.

A few quick glimpses at signs of life...
20090429_134643_PStar_Small.jpg

PRAIRIE STAR
20090429_134856_LaCrosse_Small.jpg

LaCrosse
20090429_135050_MFoch_Small.jpg

Maréchal Foch
20090429_135452_Niagara_Small.jpg

Niagara

Nothing yet on the Baco Noir and Léon Millot, but there is hope!
smiley4.gif

A little update on Old B's green thumb
smiley36.gif

20090525_045613_100_1104_Small.jpg

The Leon Millot is doing well, little guy thinks he's supposed to make fruit
smiley5.gif

20090525_045939_100_1105_Small.jpg

Marechal Foch two out of three doing good...
20090525_050238_100_1106_Small.jpg

Prairie Star, looks kind of odd compared to the others, but its alive!
20090525_050520_100_1107_Small.jpg

Niagara are kicking Azz , off work this week so I'll be working on a permanent home for these fellas
smiley4.gif
It ain't Applemans vineyard, but maybe Ill get a bottle out of it in the next three years or so!
smiley36.gif

We all start out with a few JW, well maybe not Al. He started out with a couple acres! They will be overtaking you yard soon!

i was not the smartest grape in the bunch :)

good luck w these new vines!

I did. They are doing fairly well, will try and get some pics tomorrow as I have the day off and need to do a little lawn maintenance. Already looking
to next year, think I'd like to get some LaCross and maybe some LaCrescent started.

NIAGARA (2)...these are really taking off, had a couple that did nothing, some I gave to farmer and I think they did nothing also.
20090630_103254_juneniagara.jpg

MARECHEL FOCH (3) these are doing O.K., had good roots when I transfered them.
20090630_103636_juneMARECHELFOC.jpg

LEON MILLOT (2) Had to make a little cage around these, they are in the back yard, squirrels were trying to dig them up!
20090630_103903_juneLEONMILLOT.jpg

PRAIRIE STAR (2) same story, squirrels
smiley7.gif

20090630_104143_junePRAIRIESTAR.jpg

I do have about 40 of the "garden huckleberry" , tried to grow them last year, but a late snow took most out. Waited until end of April to set them this year, may get a few of these for wine.
20090630_104440_junehucks.jpg

All in all nothing fancy or too spectacular, but they are alive!
smiley36.gif
Hopefully roots develop well this year, and the survive the winter...looking ahead to a couple of years
smiley17.gif

They are looking good IMO.
I noticed the different back backdrops between the bare dirt, grass and looks like the side of the house.

I was just curious - How will you bee trellising them? From the pictures I would guess they arenot in a row with the exception of the Leon and Prairie Star.

I was at a vineyard in Wisconsin recently and they used "T" posts with a braced angle iron on top about 4 feet wide (kinda like a clothes line post without the galvanized wire) and then they just tied the cordon directly to the angle iron-

Also, That is huckleberry??? Looks like something we use Round-up on in my Fathers field when I am helping himspray for weeds....
smiley36.gif

I posted earlier on this one and don't know where it went. I was going to comment that it looks like nightshade to me but I figured I better look up the Garden Huckleberry. Guess What??? It is a form of nightshade!

smiley36.gif
Dont eat the green ones! They are related, yet ripe make a good fruit.
This is from U of M Extension Service:

Garden huckleberry or wonderberry (Solanum melanocerasum, syn S. nigrum guineense) is not related to true huckleberries, woody plants in the heath family. Instead, it is an herbaceous annual in the nightshade family, related to tomatoes, peppers, tobacco, eggplant and potato. An unusual crop for gardeners to try, garden huckleberry bears small jet-black berries that are cooked and sweetened, and often combined with other fruits such as apples, lemons and grapes, to make jellies, preserves and pies.

Culture of garden huckleberry is similar to tomato culture: start plants indoors in early April, covering the seeds with ¼ inch of soil. Germination should take one to two weeks. Transplant to a sunny location outdoors when all danger of frost is past and the weather has settled, in late May or early June. Allow two feet between plants.

Garden huckleberry plants resemble pepper plants, bushy and erect, up to two feet tall. Flowers, appearing in clusters in July, are small and white. Each plant will bear hundreds of ½-¾-inch berries, ripening from green to deep black. One plant should produce enough berries for a single pie.

The fruits are not edible until fully ripe and cooked. They are toxic if eaten unripe, and the raw fruit is quite bitter. The berries are ready to harvest about two weeks after they first turn black, when their skin has changed from shiny to dull, and the flesh is very soft. The interior pulp will turn from greenish to purple when ripe. The flavor of the berries is improved by allowing them to remain on the plant until after the first frost. The plants have some cold tolerance and may continue to ripen fruit after light frosts.

20090705_035931_100_1142_Small.jpg

The Villain in this Story!
smiley7.gif
One look in his eyes told me he is the culprit, Wife says leave him alone "he's cute" ....I think of caddy shack, Karl and his gophers, and I know this aint over!

Healthy lookin' critter. Wonder what it's been eatin'. Obviously marking "his" territory. Looks like you may have a fight on your hands... Good luck.
smiley36.gif

Yep that's a garden marauder alright! We have some also that are approaching the size of our cats. You see one and need to look twice if it is a cat or one of them critters.

Time for Hav-a -hart or maybe Put-A-Hurtin.

Yeah Rich - that's what I would do!!!!!!!!!

Good luck - I am still fighting them critters - lost another vine today - - -

Poisioning - trapping - shooting - and they still get by (once in awhile!!)

guess I better put some more vines in - in the spring!!!

rrawhide

Latest posts

Back