NRCS Soil Maps (online)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okree

Reaction score
I'll admit, I didn't think the data would be all that accurate. I guess I figured that the field sampling density wouldn't be high enoughtomake accurate assumptions for small areas of land and that thesoil dlineations and descriptions would be greatly generalized. I was wrong...

For one plot of land I was considering, my shovel found pretty much what the data said I would find, including 4 very distinct soil types within a 20 acre area. It told me that in one area I would find a nice friable yellow silt loam with evidence of a seasonal high water table within 12 to 24 inches of the surface. Sure enough, at 20 inches I hit heavily mottled, washed out nasty gray clay. Anyways, for those that didn't know this data was online, here ya go...
http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/WebSoilSurvey.aspx

I play with the Web Soil Survey a lot. It is only as accurate as the local Soil& Water Conservation data is. Most places are very accurate. I use it on my 24 inch monitor, but it messes up with the 30 inch one. Great Tool.

Latest posts

Back