My first kit: fermentation done a week early (half of expected time)?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sremick

Reaction score
So I'm doing my first kit. On 3/31 when I started, the SG was 1.100 (as expected). Kit instructions say to stabilize/degass at day 14, and nothing between start and then. The target SG is <0.996

Well, I noticed a few days ago that the bubbling in the airlock had died down. I checked the SG today and it's at 0.997 (adjusted for temp). I checked the calibration of my hydrogemeter (at 60-deg F) and it's spot on.

I'm a little concerned about fermentation finishing in half the expected time. How to proceed? Wait another week for things to settle (things got stirred up a bit today) before stabilizing, degassing and racking on schedule, or jump ahead?

(This is a Winexpert LE18 kit, "Corazon")

Forgot to mention: fermentation temp was maintained 74-80 deg F the entire time.

The wine can sit on the skins for a bit longer with no real danger (provided you have good winemaking hygiene). More time on skins improves body, increases tannin extraction, and color.

Johnd is absolutely right - you can move along to the next step... if you want.

No skins in this kit, but I feel like I now have to wait at least a day or 2 for it to re-settle since it got stirred up a bit.

Letting it sit for the 14 days is perfectly alright. It's protected by the C02 blanket on it. If you're concerned about oxidation, you can put an airlock on it. If it's at .997 now, it will drop more before the 14 days is up.

Letting it sit for the 14 days is perfectly alright. It's protected by the C02 blanket on it. If you're concerned about oxidation, you can put an airlock on it. If it's at .997 now, it will drop more before the 14 days is up.
Too late. :( Based on the other replies, I racked it into the carboy yesterday and added the 2 white packets (sorbate and sulfite?) as well as one of the clear packets (Kiesol?).

Too late. :( Based on the other replies, I racked it into the carboy yesterday and added the 2 white packets (sorbate and sulfite?) as well as one of the clear packets (Kiesol?).
You should be OK. Based on your SG readings, you'll be up around 13.49% ABV. I doubt you'd get more than that with any kit no matter how long you let it go. I've had plenty of kits ferment to dry in a week, so it's not unusual.

Too late. [emoji20] Based on the other replies, I racked it into the carboy yesterday and added the 2 white packets (sorbate and sulfite?) as well as one of the clear packets (Kiesol?).

In the future, consider skipping the sorbate. Many (including me) dislike the bubblegum taste it imparts. Plus, it’s not necessary for wines with little to no residual sugar (if I make a wine that ends above 1.005, I’ll add the it).

My guess is your wine could have gotten closer to 0.990 with a little time. But, you’re good where you are at 0.997. Just take your time moving forward. Make sure your wine is fully degassed and tasting pretty much the way you want before you bottle.

Also, I’m confused... you only used on of the clear packets? Check your instructions. These are fining agents (kieselsol and chitosan) and are meant to be used in tandem. The smaller of the two should be first. Then about 5 min later, add the second.

Last edited:
I think the qu

I think the quickest I had was 9 days, however ambient temp was about 73F so that seems about right for you in 7 days. I try to leave it for 14 days or so in the bucket with an airlock that I drilled out on the lid. I find that it packs the lees a little tighter and helps with racking. Either way I think you will be fine, one other thing... is if you are fermenting dry and not back sweetening you don't need sorbate, I never use it anymore. I have never had a wine go below .994 to .992 typically they stop around .997. Ive done probably around 30 kits...The CO2 can also throw off the hydrometer a bit.

Last edited:
Back