Mosti Mondiale MM newbie questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
I just received my first MM All Juice kit (the Shiraz).(Yeh!) I understand most of the differences between the WE and MM instructions, but have 2 questions. First, the first racking from primary to secondary specifically says to "include the sediments" - does that mean stir them back into suspension before racking or to just not be too picky about avoiding them? Second, the oak chips are chips (not the sawdust that WE uses) - should they be sanitized somehow or is it OK to just add them in straight from the packet?

I don't know what the "right" methodology is. But I simply racked the wine and extracted almost all the sediment. I imagine it might be better to stir it, as I assume it is meant to help clarify the wine. As for the oak, I simply added it after opening the bag. The instructions do not indicate sanitation is necessary and I assume the oak requires no further sanitation. Now if the bag was opened and was sitting around for a few months, I might sanitize the chips.

dfwwino is correct and no need to sanitize any oak that is packaged for addition to wine kits. The MM kits I have done so far I stirred the batch and transfered everything to the secondary.

Back