Missing Honey Bees

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
I was talking to my Dad yesterday. He is a beekeeper and has lost over half of his hives to what?,,,,,no one knows!! It is a pretty scary thing to think that our food supply is in jeapordy because of this loss. I was reading this article and found it interesting.

I talked to Dad about sending a case of West Virginia honey to donate asone of the prizes for the drawingat Winestock 2007. I'm working on getting that.

Anyway here is the article:

http://www.earthfiles.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1214&category=Environment

Ramona

You don't supose we eat those things??? Treachael Mite! Interesting story Rgecaprock! Thanks!

Ramona, I have a friend who is a mite man at USDA. I just sent him an email with that website. I'll let you know what he tells me.

Ramona...I've been reading about this and it's very serious. I'll be interested in what you find out....frightening!

The problem today is that there is so much "junk" science out there that is makes me sceptical about all this stuff. Kinda like yelling wolf. I know some of this is real, but it is so hard to separate out the truth. I do hope they find the answer to this perplexing problem.

Me too. Losing bees is a frightening thought. I know that out here they account for the pollination of 100s of millions of dollars in berry crops. At least it's not affecting the mason bees yet. I sure hope they find out what is hurting them soon though.

George, that link is from the USDA's website. Countries from all over the world send their agricultural "problems" to the USDA for our folks to solve. Just like the red palm mites that are destroying banana trees isn't "junk" science, neither are bee mites. It's as real as it gets.

The latest email from my friend:

"Mites have their impact, but can be dealt with through intensive management
which is time-consuming and expensive... The more recent buzz is in regards to
Colony Collapse Disorder and the cause(s) behind that are still a mystery.

See this NPR transcript for a little background:

<a href="http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?programID=07-P13-00009&amp;segmentID=3" target="_blank">http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?programID=07-P13-00009&amp;segmentID=3
</a>

Be prepared to pay a lot for bananas. The red palm mite is only a plane ride away from moving to Central and South America where most of the banana crop comes from.

From what I've read on this, there are some who feel it may be due to the genetically modified crops being planted, such as the "round up ready" types. Cause and effect, we change things, and don't fully know what it will effect in the broader spectrum of things. Suppose it's possible some of the hybrids are having unknown effects that weren't considered when applied. As long as we continue to reinvent the wheel, we will have these types of issues, big and small.

I would not have noticed this topic, except for a discussion with George today. But George's point about junk science is highlighted by common statements often made about "genetically modified crops" (No offense intended to JWMINNESOTA).

Just about by definition, a crop IS a genetically modified organism. Mankind has been modifying plants and animals since thier hunter-gathering days. Creating a "round up ready: crop is just doing what breeders have done for centuries, but now being able to create and select at the DNA level. In fact, more is known about these genes and their effects than is known about changes made in the 70 and 80's's by the old fashioned methods. These GMO plants are better studied, more controlled and better understood than any of the traditional varieties. But fear created by the lack of understanding of the technology has lead to Frankenstein stories. It takes 3-5 years of development time and 5 years of multinational studiesand multi-millions of dollarsto get a "round up ready gene approved. We have a VERY BROAD spectrum of knowledge around these new genes and how they react to the environement around them (soil, other plants and insects).
With traditional breeding - if you brought in a flower color gene, you were actually crossing in the DNA for that chromosome plus unknown neighboring DNA that you have no idea what it does, unless you see something obvious and then you select away from it. With today's technology, you can create and add a gene for roundup resistance and actually look at the DNA sequence to make sure you have what exactly what you want and that nothing else is attached to it that you can't see out in the field or garden.

This is probably more than most want to know or hear - so it is Friday afternoon and I plan to head to a wine tasting and then start a new batch of my own tomorrow. Enough said............

No offense taken here Maize, just throwing out ideas for consideration, not necessarily my opinions or result of any research on my behalf. Why with all the advances our great scientist make daily, so many real cures by pharmaceutical companies(have an uncle worked at one his entire life)highly successful programs in farming like rBGH (I'm in dairy, cheese maker) I have learned to have full faith in our ability to fix it all, and make the world a great place.
smiley36.gif
Now I'm going to go start a batch of mead, hope its not my last.
smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back