Mango wine! First attempt with fruit.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabernut

Junior
Reaction score
Since this is only my 3rd batch ever, I'm still a beginner. Here goes.

I bought a fruit making ingredient kit, originally intending to make a 6 gal batch of strawberry, but at $5/lb up here this time of year, I altered my plans. Mango! I decided to just go for it since I learn best hands on. I'm trying to make a 1 gal batch so if it doesn't work out, not much lost, only pride.

I bought 3 small cases of sweet yellow mangos, 29 in all. After peeling and deseeding, I ended up with about 3L of pulp. I'm going to follow the directions on the fruit kit, and only use 1/6 of each packet. No mistakes so far I hope!

The first packet was a ~6g mix of K-Meta and pectin enzyme. I used about 1g from that. Stirred that in and added 1.5L water for a total just under the 5L mark. I give it a stir/squeeze the pulp bag 2x daily.

I have two kinds of yeast. Lalvin EC1118 and K1V1116. Which would be best of the two?

My plans for tonight/tomorrow are to add sugar until a SG of 1.080 and pitch the yeast and add some banana for body. Should I add a white Welch's for a grape base?

My goal for the end product is a straight mango wine with hopefully great flavor.

Suggestions welcome:h

I USED lALVIN EC 1118 and 3 lbs. of MANGO flesh to each gallon. We loved it. Loren

I've read that EC1118 is kind of an all-purpose wine yeast. I'll give that a try for this batch. The first attempt is for function, finesse comes later.

According to my calculations, the 3L of mango flesh I started with is about 7lbs! Could be good!

I'm keeping detailed notes, only thing is that the fruit ingredient kit I bought has already combined yeast nutrient, tannin, and acid blend into one 55g packet. I can take 1/6th of that easy enough, but as to what ratio they are, I don't know.

Last night I added 4.75 cups sugar, brought the SG up to 1.090.
Next I mixed in the bentonite(1/6 packet) to a cup of warm water and added that.
Then I mixed in the tannin/acid blend/yeast nutrient(9.1g combined) and sprinkled the yeast(EC 1118) on top and let it sit without stirring.
It's up to the 6L mark on the bucket. My gallon carboy holds 5L, so should be about right after losing some while racking. Yes?

When I checked it this morning, I could see a bit of foaminess so looks like its on its way. :db

...racked and added the k-meta and sorbate 2 nights ago, SG was at 0.995.

I was going to add the kieselsol and chitosan last night, but it seems to be clearing on its own. Turning from a mustard-yellow to a nice golden clear color. And tastes good so far.

What about letting it sit and clear naturally? Do you think the lees would affect taste much if I wait to rack again until its totally clear?

...racked and added the k-meta and sorbate 2 nights ago, SG was at 0.995.

I was going to add the kieselsol and chitosan last night, but it seems to be clearing on its own. Turning from a mustard-yellow to a nice golden clear color. And tastes good so far.

What about letting it sit and clear naturally? Do you think the lees would affect taste much if I wait to rack again until its totally clear?

If you are patient, it will clear on its own. You can rack off the lees to a clean carboy as they reach 3/4 to 1 inch deep. The kieselsol and chitosan (Super Kleer)quicken the process, is all. Never heard of adding bentonite in the primary, it being a fining agent like kieselsol and chitosan. I have fined with it in secondary. Interesting.

Yes, you will lose some as you rack, so it is good to start with a bit extra.

If you are patient, it will clear on its own. You can rack off the lees to a clean carboy as they reach 3/4 to 1 inch deep. The kieselsol and chitosan (Super Kleer)quicken the process, is all. Never heard of adding bentonite in the primary, it being a fining agent like kieselsol and chitosan. I have fined with it in secondary. Interesting.

Yes, you will lose some as you rack, so it is good to start with a bit extra.
yes jim, if using bentonite, it is usually added at the beginning of fermentation....most kit wines come with a packet of bentonite....step 1 is to add it to your primary with warm water to dissolve it (as much as possible that is), prior to adding the concentrate and topping off with water.....

Never made a kit wine. Learned something new!

lol...yes, you did....and i find i keep learning new things as well, but then again isn't that what life, let alone this forum, is all about???...lol...

Latest posts

Back