Hot Weather in CA - Wine Grapes have turned red already

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khubred

Junior
Reaction score
We live in Sacramento and have 27 vitis viniferas, 14 Cabernet S and 13 Merlot. It has gotten very hot this summer, upwards of 110 degrees, and thus - our wine grapes have already began to turn from green to a light reddish color. We are concerned that the grapes are ruined for this season, and wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject. I know that grapes ripen based on the amount of heat, not just the sun, and it can get HOT in this area!

We're a little concerned about the balance of the grapes because of the heat. They are realistically very small still, and very bitter, so I know they're not fully ripened.

Is there anything that I should be concerned about? Or, is it just that I'll have an early harvest, because of the heat?

I'm curious if others in this area keep a log and monitor the heat each day/week/month to determine the estimated time of harvest?

Thanks much for your help - I'm new to this, so information is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Do you have a source of water? Are they getting water in this heat?

Yes, when you get that hot you will start to break down the acids (prolonged periods of 100 degree heat) so your pH goes up to ~ 4.00 and your acids fall. You may need to add tartaric to bring the chemistry in line as best as possible. If the heat keeps up you will be inline for a record early harvest of sorts.

They are not ruined they just may not be the best crop this year.

I took this in Napa yesterday (July 14) it's Malbec, I think it's going to be an early harvest there too.

2013-07-14%2012.25.00-2-M.jpg

Latest posts

Back