WineXpert GREEN APPLE WINE EXPERT KIT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
I bought a Green apple Wine Expert kit from George. I am the third stage waiting to check the S.G. again in two days to see if there is a change. I need to make sure I am reading this right. I am actually supposed to stir up all that dead yeast and sediment again then add the clearing agent??? I just hate the thought of doing this. I also would like to filter before bottling is there any special intructions? It said to contact retailer before doing so. Thanks, Lynn

don't worry the fining agent will grab all that crud and send it strait
to the bottom along with the smaller particles, my green apple wine kit
came out real clear without filtering.

2005-08-22_102408_apple_wine_bottles_010.jpg

Direct from Winexpert on why you don't rack off the lees before adding the fining agent.

<A name=43>Q: Why is it necessary to add the fining agents (package #4) before transferring the wine must off the sediment that has built up in the carboy bottom? Wouldn't it be more efficient for package #4 to be added after the sediment has been removed? It seems the clearing agent has to do more work to clear the wine by adding it with the sediment still in the carboy, especially when you're stirring this sediment up in the process.</A>

A: This one fools a lot of people, as it does seem at the outset that you'd want to get rid of the sediment first and then add the clearing agent, particularly when the wine in the carboy otherwise seems clear. The temptation is so great, many winemakers DO switch the steps themselves. This is not wrong - it's just less efficient, believe it or not.

The clearing, or fining, agents used in Winexpert's wine kits, whether it be chitosan or isinglass, both act more efficiently in clearing wine when they have a base of sediment to begin with. The sediment acts as a trigger mechanism which sends the finings into action in clearing out the mix of proteins, pigments, phenolics, dead yeast, etc.

Both the fining agents and the particles to clear out from the wine have either a positive or a negative charge. And just like in the movies, opposites attract. A negatively charged fining agent like bentonite will serve to bring together those particles having a positive charge, while positively charged fining agents like chitosan or isinglass will attract negatively charged particles. This process allows for the molecular weight structures of the particles to become larger: smaller particles join together to become larger particles, which in turn fall to the bottom of the carboy when their mass becomes great enough.

If the fining agents do not 'find' enough particles present in the wine must to join together into larger particles, the clearing process may stall, as there will not be enough small particles present to conglomerate into the larger particles which will fall out. Small particles on their own will remain suspended in the must, and the fining's efficiency is reduced.

This is why you must thoroughly stir the sediment when adding package #4, as it effectively mixes the fining agents and the particles together to start the clearing process.

Resist the urge to jump the gun on transferring, or racking, the wine! Trust the method behind the madness of Winexpert's instructions, and stir up that sediment with confidence!

I have made many of these type of kits and there is no need to filter as the fining agent will clear the wine brilliantly in 2 weeks. I like to let my white winessettle for 3 weeks before racking and bottling.

Masta, Thanks for that info! Now I'll have no anguish when I have to stir and add the clearing agent. It's a good thing!
smiley4.gif

Newbie gotta jump in here...Do you stir the sediment and then add the fining agent or stir as the agent is being added ?

Stir it all together just as the instructions say.

Read the instructions again!

smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back