Good to be back!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenbean

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't been posting, but work has kept me away from the PC. Right now I have Elderberry,and Strawberry going and have finished my Choke Cherry wine. Also this week I'm planing on buying several different kinds of muscadines and scupernogs to use. The fellow I buy from has 12 different varieties ranging from black to pink to golden. I'm also waiting for possum grapes to ripen
smiley4.gif

Chris

Hi Chris.

Do yourself a favor and make a wine with only the pink muscadines by themselves.

Use a mix of the bronze varieties. Also, mix the black ones. You should pick them yourself to be sure they are as ripe as you can get.

If you can find enough of the bronze variety Noble, make a wine with just them. Also, Carlos.

I like Ison and Black Beauty by themselves also. Otherwise, use a mix.

The man has a pink kind that is pear shaped, he says it makes an awsome wine. I think it was Ison I used last year for 10 gal.. Then I used wild ones for another 10 gal.I never have mixed different types, I guess I should give it a try.

ChrisEdited by: greenbean

Well I guess the ones that taste best to you are the ones to use!

Hey Greenbean. Where is this guy located? I am in Benton so if its not too far I amy drive down and get a few myself

He lives not too far from me in Rison. I guess that would be about an hour drive for you if you come through Sheridan.He only charges $9.00 a gallon. 1 gallon is four pounds if I remember right. Normaly I buy by the flat and I can make 10 gallons of wine from a flat.

How are the smallies and walleye biting right now on the Saline up your way? I'm waiting on fall weather for the walleye to go back to biting down here and we have very few smallies.So I was wondering if it would be worth the trip up. I went to Poyen Caught a few a couple of weeks ago.

Chris

Those are very expensive muscadines, Chris. Here they are $1.25/pound, prepicked,but it is likely too late to get any due to having to order ahead of time. You are paying $2.25/pound. I hope you aren't having to pick them!That would make 5 gallons ofmust worth about $67.50 at 6 pounds/gallon of must. Even higher for the finished wine, with loss from lees. Not bad sounding though if you figure $70 for 25 bottles of wine and don't count your time. A very conservative figure. $2.80/bottle. Really not bad if you keep it all for yourself. Damn I am in a math mood tonight!
smiley36.gif
At my rate (didn't get any this year), 5 gallons of must is worth $37.50. Finished wine $1.60/bottle. Very conservative estimate also, but I can afford to give a few bottles away. Not that I will, but I could! Anyway, if the berries are very good condition and at the peak of ripeness and they pick them, more power to you, you gotta pay the market price.

smiley33.gif

Edited by: Hippie

It is slow on the Saline right now , really down low but I did catch a couple of good walleyes on the Ouachita last weekend down between Grigsby Fjiord and Saginaw.

Thanks for the info on the muscadines

Anyone want me to check on availability of muscadines here and price?

These are prepicked and destemed. No work really involved. There is another sell south of me but I have never met with them and don't know their prices.

Chris

I called the folks south of me and they get $6.00 a gallon, but they are pick your own. So I guess it is how much you want to work for your wine.

Chris

It sure don't take long to pick a gallon! About 8 gallons at 4 lb. per gallon will make a good 5 gallon batch of wine.

smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back