First crush tomorrow!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I prob could have added a little more of the meta but it should be ok. I was nervous to add too much bc I want to do a mlf. I don't actually have a thermometer. It's in my garage. It's prob close to 70. I will put a thermometer out there and see what the garage is.
Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Garage temp does not really count.... Must temp is what you need to know.... Garage temp could be at 70 degrees and the must temp will stay in the 50's for a couple few days! Don't pitch the yeast until the must warms up to at least the low to mid 60's....thermometers are cheap at any store!

What kind of yeast are you using?

Sam

Can I use any kind of thermometer ?? And I am using d47. Five 5g packets. ImageUploadedByWine Making1400454928.284203.jpg

I asked the guy there who knows everything what yeast he recommended. I am kinda surprised about the selection bc it says it's for white wine. I was going to use rc 212.

That one looks like it will work... Better then nothing! What is the temp?

Sam

I asked the guy there who knows everything what yeast he recommended. I am kinda surprised about the selection bc it says it's for white wine. I was going to use rc 212.

D-47???? Wow that is for whites. I used BM4X4 in my Cab and D-21 in my Merlot... Gona ferment separately then mix at the press... Take a look at the list below for better choices....

http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

Sam

D-47???? Wow that is for whites. I used BM4X4 in my Cab and D-21 in my Merlot... Gona ferment separately then mix at the press... Take a look at the list below for better choices....

http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

Sam

I know. I wish I noticed earlier!!!! I am not sure I should wait another day to get a different yeast. They have a school where I get my grapes. He knew everything about them and all the test results from the school. Do I have to add the yeast tonight??? We crushed them at 4 pm yesterday and added 1/4 meta last night at 8 pm

I know. I wish I noticed earlier!!!! I am not sure I should wait another day to get a different yeast. They have a school where I get my grapes. He knew everything about them and all the test results from the school. Do I have to add the yeast tonight??? We crushed them at 4 pm yesterday and added 1/4 meta last night at 8 pm

What is the temp of your must?

Sam

It's about 62

You are fine to wait until tomorrow... If you can get a better choice in the morning then that would be my choice. Snap the lids down on the bruts...

Sam

You are fine to wait until tomorrow... If you can get a better choice in the morning then that would be my choice. Snap the lids down on the bruts...

Sam

It won't be until later in the day. Like lunch time. My son has a dr appt and then I can run out and get something else. Wish they were open to see why he would pick this. I really wanted to press on Sunday or Monday

We were going to go through it tonight and pull out some stems. That ok? Or should I leave it???

Up to you.... Looks like you will need between 20 and 25 grams of yeast for your 20 gallons of must...

Sam

Up to you.... Looks like you will need between 20 and 25 grams of yeast for your 20 gallons of must...

Sam

Yes I have 25 grams of yeast. I wonder if this guy knows some secret about this yeast or if he screwed up!!???

Rc212 would be a good choice if you don't have to go out of your way to get it. Sounds like things are moving OK. Don't panic. If your temps and fermentation rate are OK, you should be able to press next weekend.

No secrets.... Documentations are there for a reason... I am sure their are many people that buck the system just like using wild yeast.... But proven records are there for a reason.... Again... Up to you.......

Sam

No secrets.... Documentations are there for a reason... I am sure their are many people that buck the system just like using wild yeast.... But proven records are there for a reason.... Again... Up to you.......

Sam

I am going to just take the ride out there and get rc 212. As long as it is ok to wait..... I will go get it Tom

I am going to just take the ride out there and get rc 212. As long as it is ok to wait..... I will go get it Tom

Don't want create more confusion in your life but if you have other choices tomorrow I would pick something else instead of rc-212... Not really the best choice for a Merlot or Cab... But better then what you have now! Read that link I sent you and pick something that sounds like what you are trying to achieve... Just be careful not to pick something that needs a lot of nutrients unless you know how to do that...

Sam

Don't want create more confusion in your life but if you have other choices tomorrow I would pick something else instead of rc-212... Not really the best choice for a Merlot or Cab... But better then what you have now! Read that link I sent you and pick something that sounds like what you are trying to achieve... Just be careful not to pick something that needs a lot of nutrients unless you know how to do that...

I think this is what they have. Unless they have more they don't have listed in their catalog

Yeast D-47, 5 grams ...Price: $.75 / Recommended for making wines from white varieties such as Chardonnay and rosé wines. An excel- lent choice for producing mead, however be sure to supplement with yeast nutrients, especially usable nitrogen. An excellent choice for dry whites, blush wines and residual sugar wines.

Yeast EC-1118, 5 grams ...Price: $.75 / The EC-1118 strain is recommended for all types of wines, including sparkling, and late harvest wines and cider. It may also be used to restart stuck fermentations. An excellent choice for champagnes and late harvest wines. Also a very good choice for dry whites.

Yeast K1-V1116, 5 grams ...Price: $.75 / The K1V-1116 strain tends to express the freshness of white grape varieties such as Sauvi- gnon Blanc, Chenin Blanc and Seyval. The natural fresh fruit aromas are retained longer than with other standard yeast strains. Fruit wines and wines made from concentrates poor in nutrient balance benefit from the capacity of

K1V-1116 to adapt to difficult fermentation conditions. Restarts stuck fermentations. Highly recommended for dry whites, aged reds, and late harvest wines.

Yeast RC-212, 5 grams ...Price: $.75 / RC 212 is recommended for red varieties where full extraction is desired. Lighter red varieties also benefit from the improved extraction while color stability is maintained throughout fermentation and aging. Aromas of ripe berry and fruit are emphasized while respecting pepper and spicy notes. An excellent choice for both young & aged red wines.

Yeast 71B-1122, 5 grams ...Price: $.75 / The 71B is used primarily for young wines such as vin nouveau and has been found to be very suitable for ice wine, blush and residual sugar whites.
Sam

Latest posts

Back