First batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billaban

Reaction score
Well, it has been about 13 months since starting our first batch. Actually a double batch using the vintage 13 gallon carboys that we discovered in a farm shed.

We made a double of the WE Vintners Reserve Chianti. Started in Jan/14. It was clear w/o any sediment after a few racking by July/14. Aside from the additional aging and skipping the use of the finings we followed the kit instructions. We bottled in Nov/14 and by Xmas it was deemed very good :db by those that have sampled. Somewhat lighter than many Chiantis I have had but very enjoyable.

Topping off for aging actually pushed the yield over 13 gallons since we got 69 bottles plus some bonus for sampling by the bottling crew.

Since that went so well we now have two more double batches going, i.e., (1) is a blend of a WE VR Merlot kit and a WE VR Cabernet kit which is now aging, (2) is a double of the WE Eclipse Lodi Zinfandel which is also now aging. The Zin tasted pretty amazing not long after primary ferm.

Hopefully our good luck will continue.

Cheers.

Wow! I hope you don't ever need to lift that carboy when it's holding a double batch of wine. :br

Amen to that, Bill.

Will

No chance at moving these carboys when full. Obviously it is well over 100 lbs and kinda big. FWIW - these monster vessels are pretty heavy and awkward when empty. Problem solved when I bought one of these: http://allinonewinepump.com/

Works very well. Takes maybe 10 minutes to pump a full carboy from A to B.
Also worked well for bottling.

I have three of the 13 gallon carboys so I can easily have two batches in process simultaneously.

Latest posts

Back