First attempt Riesling.. has begun!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skycrestfarm

Future Master Winemaker... well really a Novice
Reaction score
I started with 5 cans of Alexander Sun Johan.. Riesling concentrate. This juice was diluted to a little over 6 gallons with springwater to a Brix of 23. The yeast I chose was D-47 with an alcohol tolerance of 14%. The primary fermintation is occurring in my basement where the temperature is hoving close to 60 degrees. I am fermenting in a closed vessel but I am stirring the fermentation on a daily basis to resuspend the yeast and introduce some oxygen. My hope is that the Yeast will die out a little before the sugar is exhausted leaving a small amount to sweeten the wine. So far so good. The yeast seem happy and I am starting to get some nice aromas.

Stephen
Skycrestfarm
Master winemaker... In training...

Skycrestfarm said:
I started with 5 cans of Alexander Sun Johan.. Riesling concentrate. This juice was diluted to a little over 6 gallons with springwater to a Brix of 23. The yeast I chose was D-47 with an alcohol tolerance of 14%. The primary fermintation is occurring in my basement where the temperature is hoving close to 60 degrees. I am fermenting in a closed vessel but I am stirring the fermentation on a daily basis to resuspend the yeast and introduce some oxygen. My hope is that the Yeast will die out a little before the sugar is exhausted leaving a small amount to sweeten the wine. So far so good. The yeast seem happy and I am starting to get some nice aromas.

Stephen
Skycrestfarm
Master winemaker... In training...

I'm sure it will ferment dry then back sweeten .good luck! I'm enjoying a glass of my Reisling with my daughter right Now:)

Then you must have $100 in that wine. YOu can buy a pretty good kit for that. Do you expect the quality to rank with a kit costing around the same price?

I have only used 2 cans of alexander along with 5 jars of blackberry jam and it turned out very good.

Olusteebee...
You are right I spent $100 on the concentrate. My original plan was to use just 3 cans but when I did the Brix calculation I realized I was way off on the sugar for a 6 gallon batch. I don't have the bottles to make a 3 gallon batch so I bought another 2 cans of concentrate. I hope it turns out good!

Stephen I am new at this, this is my first year at attempting to do a white wine. I bought a six gallon bucket of Johannisberg Riesling from a local dist. I fermented primary in my garage this Oct in same bucket I had to put half in another plastic pail to leave space. I didn't keep it air tight. Stirred it almost every day brix went from 22 to 0 in about 5 days. Then racked to a 5 gal carboy - glass air locked. Didn't add any sulfite until when I racked it days later. About 1/2 tsp. I used a packet of ec 1118 yeast for primary. I tasted when I racked it and it seems like it should be a little sweeter. Any thoughts on how I could do this or should I test for residual sugars. I read that if you find a wine you like comparable test that and try to bring your sugar level to same level.

Celladwella...
I am certainly no expert. That being said your plan sounds good. I have been told by a much more experienced winemaker (Julie) to use corn syrup to back sweeten. Good Luck. I will keep the group posted with my progress. One more point... My fermentation is by plan going slowly as my basement is around 60 degrees. Again I have been told that a slow fermentation is preferred in white winemaking as the wine retains more of its aromatics. I don't expect to have fully completed primary fermentation for perhaps 3 - 4 weeks.

Where did you get your juice. If the cans are not that big in volume I can probably add some unfermented juice to sweeten and follow steps not to cause fermentation to restart. How much per can? Anyone have suggestions on this?

The Alexander Sun cans contain 46 ounces of concentrate with a Brix of 68. I purchase most of my winemaking supplies and juice from Midwest wine supply. They are easily found on the internet.

I just started my first white kit last week, a Mosti Johanisberg Riesling, from the Toy Makers wine store! about $72. Fermenting very well almost dry. Thinking of topping off with an Apple or Peach wine to add a hint of flavor. roy

Just checked the specific gravity on my Reisling.... 1.000... Brix 0. Time to rack off gross lees. I'll do that tomorrow as I stirred to resuspend the yeast today.

Back