RJ Spagnols EP Amarone and Cold Stabilization - Nice!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I racked my Amarone out of cold stabilization today. It's been in the garage for about a month. I had at least half a cup of diamonds in the bottom of the carboy. I was really surprised. And the wine has really gotten smoother in the last month. I'm definitely a believer in CS. This wine was done with the grape skins in primary and raisins in secondary. It spent three weeks in a six monnth old Vadai, and another 7 weeks in a newer one. It's excellent, and it's only six months old. I was thinking I'd add some Grand Cru tannin, but am giving that some more thought. I'll be bottling in the next few weeks (unless I add tannin) and aside from a few splits, am planning to let it bottle age for a year or more.

Bottom line: I definitely recommend the EP Amarone. And CS.

Nice Jim.
I've been thinking about Amarone kit and definitely my next kit in the lineup.
The reviews on the cellar craft showcase are excellent but also saw the RJS Winery Series with nice review.

Just a matter of which one to decide on getting.
Showcase $147 shipped.
RJS WS $125 and need to drive 20 miles one way to get it.

I racked my Amarone out of cold stabilization today. It's been in the garage for about a month. I had at least half a cup of diamonds in the bottom of the carboy. I was really surprised. And the wine has really gotten smoother in the last month. I'm definitely a believer in CS. This wine was done with the grape skins in primary and raisins in secondary. It spent three weeks in a six monnth old Vadai, and another 7 weeks in a newer one. It's excellent, and it's only six months old. I was thinking I'd add some Grand Cru tannin, but am giving that some more thought. I'll be bottling in the next few weeks (unless I add tannin) and aside from a few splits, am planning to let it bottle age for a year or more.

Bottom line: I definitely recommend the EP Amarone. And CS.

I cold stabilized my WE Savignon Blanc but did not get crystals. Given what you said about your EP Amarone, I will CS my CC Amarone.

This wine was done with the grape skins in primary and raisins in secondary.

Can you give more details about using the raisins in the secondary? How long? Do you simply rack off without pressing? I'm ready to start this kit and unsure about how to use the raisins.

For those who don't know, this kit comes with dried grape skins, AND raisins. I put the skins in the primary. For secondary, I simply put them in the carboy, and racked off the raisins when secondary was complete. IIRC, the instructions say to put both raisins and skins in primary. But I just had to tweak.

How difficult was it to get the plumped up raisins out of a glass carboy secondary?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

How difficult was it to get the plumped up raisins out of a glass carboy secondary?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app
Kit comes with a bag for skins, raisins, and oak dust.

Just tried my Amarone at 2.5 years. Really, Really improved in the last 6 months. Unfortunately its going to mean I wait an additional 6 months going forward.

Kit comes with a bag for skins, raisins, and oak dust.

Just tried my Amarone at 2.5 years. Really, Really improved in the last 6 months. Unfortunately its going to mean I wait an additional 6 months going forward.

Yes but Boatboy and others are adding raisins in secondary. I'd be hard pressed to squeeze a sock full of raisins through the neck of a carboy. I assume they are adding raisins in loose or have a wide mouth BetterBottle or something for secondary.

I added them loose. Didn't have much trouble at all getting them out.

Jim, how did you manage taking out the raisins out of the carboy before you rack from secondary?

I "poured" them into a strainer. The whole process was a little messy, and I'm not sure it was worth the effort.

Latest posts

Back