dormant spraying

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonm

Reaction score
second year and still learning. Some growers suggest spraying dormant grapes before bud break to eliminate or reduce infections during the growing season. I have Lacrosse and St. Pipen and had a little trouble with black rot this year probably because I didn't have a spray program in place at the start. I was planning on using Mancozeb when my shoots are 1/2" - 1" this year. Would anyone recommend using a lime/sulfur solution and stylet oil before bud break or would the early Mancozeb spray be enough?? Thanks, Gordon

I use a lime sulfer spray a few weeks before bud break, I think it helps

I believe that the spray should contain a copper fungicide and spraying should begin before bud break and continue once a week until new shoots are established and strong. Same spray should be used if symptoms are present

ok, thanks, I'll try spraying before bud break next year. One last question, do you mix the sulfer or copper sprays with a oil?? gordon

Crop oil could help but maybe its best to keep it simple. Also check your grape variety's sensitivity to copper and sulfur. Some can be sensitive. If your having problems with rain washing off your spray then try the crop oil but only after you know they aren't sensitive to copper or sulfur. Picking off the low buds in the spring will help with fungus. Also get rid of any leaves with fungus before spores are released.

thanks 5_acre. I have some concord that I know are sensitive to sulfur, I don't think St. Pipen and Lacrosse are but I'll double check.

Look up Bordeaux mixture and you should be able to find some sulfur-less ones. Its good on most fruiting plants

Back