Cost of Goods - Winemaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Frohmeyer

Pharma Engineer - Retired
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen or developed a shareable Excel spreadsheet template that tracks cost of goods for winemaking, from batch inception through primary and secondary packaging, inclusive of materials, labor, & overhead? Apologies in advance if this exists here already, I did the "Search first!" routine for a few hours and couldn't find anything.

I think you'll find the vast majority of us are home winemakers so there is no labor and overhead. The cost depends on what you are making and for a large part where you live.
Same for us (home winemaking). Just seems like we're making more batches and moving to bigger batches this year so wanted to get a handle on cost going forward so that I can explain it to "The House Appropriations Committee". ;)

I track grape purchases in Excel, including all consumables including corks, capsules, and labels. From this I figure the cost to make each bottle. Several people share the batch, and each reimburses me for the cost, e.g., if the cost per bottle is $5, reimbursement for a case is $60. This will work for kits or any wine.

PM your email address to me and I'll send you a copy.

Note: this is not a purty workbook, it just gets the j job done and is not intended for distribution. YMMV

I track between $4 - $5 per bottle of direct material costs, depending on cost of grapes and % of bottles reused. This exludes any labor, overhead or cost of equipment.

Just my opinion here, it is a hobby and my kit wine costs run $6-7 per bottle. This includes bottle and cork cost. I factor in the bottle even though I reuse most and I’ve gone to using high end corks after having very rare but some poor sealing with cheaper ones.
with that said, I’d put many if not most of my wines up against wines that nice restaurants sell for up to $80, which is the most I’ve to date paid in a restaurant.
I’m not kidding, I’m no sommelier but do have functional taste buds and olfactory system. Ymmv

I haven’t yet purchased grapes or juice buckets so I can’t speak to that but I’m operating with mostly gifted and used equipment that I picked up real cheap. My fruit wines have been mainly wild picked or home grown Bottles are reused. So that leaves sugar and consumables. I would guess I have maybe $2 into each bottle.

the chairperson of our household appropriations committee is spending at least $45 a week on wine so…

does the cost of starting a home vineyard count? That may tip the balance back a little 😂

I track between $4 - $5 per bottle of direct material costs, depending on cost of grapes and % of bottles reused. This exludes any labor, overhead or cost of equipment.
My 2020 reds cost $6.39/bottle, including corks, capsules, and labels. I'm 3,000 miles east of you and shipping ain't cheap!

Just my opinion here, it is a hobby and my kit wine costs run $6-7 per bottle. This includes bottle and cork cost. I factor in the bottle even though I reuse most and I’ve gone to using high end corks after having very rare but some poor sealing with cheaper ones.
with that said, I’d put many if not most of my wines up against wines that nice restaurants sell for up to $80, which is the most I’ve to date paid in a restaurant.
I’m not kidding, I’m no sommelier but do have functional taste buds and olfactory system. Ymmv
My 2021 kits are FWK, and I'm currently estimating $5.31/bottle to make the 6 kits. I won't get a full 180 bottles from it, as I'm barrel aging and will lose a couple cases of volume to the Angel's Share.

In my case, I need to know cost as multiple people are splitting the costs, based upon the number of cases they take.

But as Jim said, commercial wine costs a lot more -- I typically spend $10 to $18 USD for a bottle, so even $8 to make a bottle is cost effective.

Heck I would do this if it cost more than store bought wine, and I’m sure many on this site would too. After all, Why should it be different than any of my other hobbies? Woodworking…. What I have in tools would curl your toes. And I have an entire other building dedicated to scratching that itch. If anyone were to calculate the cost of fish I bring home you’d probably find it’s more economical to fly to the coast a couple times a year and buy them fresh off the boat. Luckily my lovely wife tolerates my hobbies, probably because the keep me out of trouble and out of her hair!🤔

What I’m trying to say is If I wanted to save money I’d sit on my behind and watch reality TV all day 😂

I haven’t yet purchased grapes or juice buckets so I can’t speak to that but I’m operating with mostly gifted and used equipment that I picked up real cheap. My fruit wines have been mainly wild picked or home grown Bottles are reused. So that leaves sugar and consumables. I would guess I have maybe $2 into each bottle.

the chairperson of our household appropriations committee is spending at least $45 a week on wine so…

does the cost of starting a home vineyard count? That may tip the balance back a little 😂
Thanks for this. Yes, my Chairperson is consuming inventory too, as well as giving away, and purchasing, which is all fine. To your point and Jim's above, part of what I was trying to get to with the cost; what does "make vs. buy" really look like for what we enjoy.

To your point and Jim's above, part of what I was trying to get to with the cost; what does "make vs. buy" really look like for what we enjoy.
Michael, this is a great question, but it varies a lot. In US dollars and assuming zero labor costs, following are estimates. Note that "no frills" is basic corks with no labels or capsules, while "with frills" is better grade corks with capsules and labels. The cost/bottle is rounded off and based upon my local prices, except where noted.

Wine Type
Cost/Bottle
Home grown or wild picked fruit, 2nd run grape wine, no frills
$0.50​
Same, with frills
$1.00​
Cheap kit, no frills
$2.00​
FWK Tavola on sale, with frills
$3.50​
FWK Tavola, regular price, with frills
$4.25​
FWK Forte, with frills OR CA grapes (local price)
$5.00​
CA grapes shipped to east coast, with frills
$6.50​
High-end WE kit, with frills
$7.25​

I guess I was wrong, it does seem people keep track of costs. Me personally, I track the price per pound of grapes even though they are what they are. Local grapes are around $1.50/lb. Imported Lodi are $1.00 to $1.25+/lb. Anything else from California or Washington is $1.75 and above. For whites I do contemplate buying juice. The cost for juice is over twice the cost of grapes, and I know commercially the extraction is more efficient than what I can get, I just can't see them getting twice as much without watering it down. I'm kind of in the same boast as @ChuckD, I do it for fun and those few times something turns out exceptional makes it all worth it.

If anyone were to calculate the cost of fish I bring home you’d probably find it’s more economical to fly to the coast a couple times a year and buy them fresh off the boat.
another blessing of where I live. I can drive 15 minutes to the pier and buy fresh fish And shrimp. 🐠 🐟 even when I go out on the gulf with a friend I have to chip in for bait, gas, hooks etc. (That’s a pricey pastime).
so pier bought fish is delicious and cheaper than going out and catching it but there is no price on being 15 miles out on the gulf, watching 4 foot turtles swim by, beautiful sunsets, fresh air an occasional waterspout etc. sometimes it’s worth it to be there and do it. Same with wine. doing something that’s fun and enjoyable is refreshing for the body and mind.

and my mango and loquat trees when little were about $50 -$75 each, fertilizer, oil spray, insecticide, freezer, $175 electricity, juicer, Bags etc. fruit isn’t really that cheap when you think about it. Oh yeah, higher taxes for the bigger lot to grow it all too.

Last edited:
I'm totally new to this, but here's my take on all my hobbies. Once you have the equipment you are at least breaking even, but likely saving, and in my experience the quality is usually incomparable to what you can buy. Meaning way better.

Say you spend $150 on a good kit and yield 26 bottles. That's 5.76 a bottle, minus consumables. Corks, labels, cap, etc. I usually buy bottles in the $10 range so even adding a big percentage for consumables I am still saving/paying off equipment. Used wine equipment can be found in as new condition, dirt cheap. I bought 2 separate kits from people and have three of everything and hundreds of bottles and about 10 carboys. If I lose interest, I can sell it for what I bought it for. It's an option to knock down your overhead.

Here's the big thing, though. What can you do these days to entertain yourself for $150 dollars? A nice dinner with drinks? Can you even go to the movies for less than $100 anymore? It's gonna be a one shot evening of entertainment at best.

Now with that in mind if I end up making something that would compare to a $30-40 bottle, well sounds like I'm winning. Is some of the stuff you are making so unique you can't even buy it?

I will never recoup the $2500 it cost to build my greenhouse. The cost of my root cellar was about $4000. Amortize that over any amount of carrots you like. I am never going to save over store bought. However! I am still eating 100% natural, organic carrots, beets, potatoes, tomatoes, tomato sauces, canned and fresh, from my garden and will until fresh ones are coming out. They still taste better than any store bought produce anywhere. The quality can't be matched, nor the health considerations. The cost doesn't even factor in, or the enjoyment of doing it.

Lastly I consider the fact that my hobbies are not taking me outside the home, they are actually giving me something to do and share at home. Can you put a price on enjoyable time spent together? The products of a $150 can be enjoyed over many nights. Add how it can enhance meals, liven up getting together with friends. If something turns out great isn't sharing it more exciting than opening the finest store bought wine you can imagine? For $5.76 per bottle, I might add.

I am a business owner, so I am all about spread sheets and balanced accounts, but sometimes we need to consider the invisible value that something is bringing to our lives.

If consumption is a concern, maybe some ground rules are something to consider.

Anyway, that's my $.02. You can take it to the committee!

Last edited:
It really depends on your level of winemaking. You can buy kits or juice buckets for $2 a bottle. Get used bottles for free or pay up to $2 a bottle for new. A couple bucks for campden tablets. Some hose for siphoning and some corks or twist on caps. You really don’t need any meters. You need some carboys and airlocks. Bare bones probably $5 a bottle. There are fixed costs that will help you make better wine just as there are more tools that will make woodworking easier or golfing more fun. If you want to save money there’s always 3$ chuck. Like chuckd said it’s a hobby if I had buy wine I’d be broke, mine isn’t all that good but it’s getting better every year and it’s a lot of fun.

Back