Clearing Dragons Blood.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basilhaydens

Reaction score
Hello again everyone. Working on a batch of dragons blood. Followed the recipe exactly other than using super kleer instead of sparkolloid. Been almost a week and there was a lot drop out of it, it isnt clear like i see in others pictures. Just wondering what could keep it from clearing crystal clear?

Hello again everyone. Working on a batch of dragons blood. Followed the recipe exactly other than using super kleer instead of sparkolloid. Been almost a week and there was a lot drop out of it, it isnt clear like i see in others pictures. Just wondering what could keep it from clearing crystal clear?
Two things, Time and Patience. It’s one week old, check it in a month or two.

Kieselsol/chitosan normally works very well. It may be you reserved the order -- I know it's kieselsol first, but double-check each time I use it as I know myself all too well ...

What fruit are in it? Have you added pectic enzyme? I do that for fruit wines as a normal part of starting the batch.

Kieselsol/chitosan normally works very well. It may be you reserved the order -- I know it's kieselsol first, but double-check each time I use it as I know myself all too well ...

What fruit are in it? Have you added pectic enzyme? I do that for fruit wines as a normal part of starting the batch.
I did the packet 1 first then the packet 2 about 2 hours later. Stirring gently after adding each. Its a cherry berry mix. Dark and tart cherries,strawberries, and blueberries. I have not added in pectic to it. Was just trying to follow the recipe starting out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210803-092055.jpg
    Screenshot_20210803-092055.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210729_194046.jpg
    20210729_194046.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
How much should i add? Im assuming since i need to stir it i should rack it over into a new carboy to get it off the sediment bed then add the pectic and stir it good?
Nope. I'd withdraw enough wine so you can stir the pectic enzyme in, mixing the sediment back into suspension, then restore the removed wine. The existing kieselsol/chitosan should settle out quickly, within a day or 2.

How much pectic enzyme? There is evidence that it work less well post-fermentation, so I'd do a double dose of whatever the package says.

So should i add another packet of super kleer after all this or just let it sit awhile?
I agree with @cmason1957. The reason I said to stir the sediment back in is because it contains the k/c already. I don't expect you'll need more, but you can always add it later.

Watch the sediment level, marking it with a grease pencil if you want. It will build up and then compact a bit. I'd rack after it compacts, as you'll lose less volume. IME it's probably a matter of 7 to 10 days, but Craig's 2 to 4 weeks is possible. Mother Nature doesn't much care what humans like or want ...

Fining agents have side effects, so avoid using them more than you need.

What is your normal does of pectic enzyme when you start a batch of fruit?.........................................DizzyIzzy

Do you use campden tablets in the 1st 24 hours? I didn't see that ingredient in the standard recipe... I'm trying my first one only orange, mango, pineapple juice instead of any lemon juice. Should I have campden in there?

Dragon Blood recipe is based on frozen fruits so kmeta is not necessary in this case as most if not all wild yeast is killed in the process. I made a few dragon blood wines with different frozen fruit combination and I never used campden tablets. It doesn't mean you shouldn't use it but it's not required. If you use fresh fruits, by all means follow the standard procedure and and campden tablets 24 hrs before pitching yeast.

Back