Carrot wine progress (tastes like sh*t!)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vertumnus

Reaction score
So this is my first so-far successful batch of wine, kinda. I started a 5gal carrot wine on 04/09/14 using the wine maker's recipe handbook. Maybe my first mistake was that I didn't keep the carrot slices in the primary for a few days but only simmered them in the sugar water for 20-30 minutes before I poured the must liquid sans carrots into the primary (I was in a rush for work). Initial SG 1.090. SG when racked into 5gal carboy was 1.040, as per recipe instructions. It's been bubbling along quite nicely, though now it's down to a bubble maybe every 10-12 seconds. Checked the SG today and it's at .993. Time to rack probably (though I have to wait for my 2nd and 3rd carboy in the mail :/)! Also decided to give it a tasting and that's where my real concerns came in. Doesn't taste good at all, that's for sure. Kinda like just drinking alcohol or vinegar, burns the mouth and throat a bit. Also the color is a bit off; doesn't look strong in color, pinkish but kinda watery in appearance. D'oh, should have taken a picture.

But anyways, that's what I'm working with. Would appreciate any feedback/advice on how to salvage it or if I'm worrying too much.

ok first off never made carrot wine. But I can offer you some assistance. You say you didn't add the carrots to the must?

Not sure if it needs salvaging, maybe just aging. I remember reading in the book The Joy of Homemaking Winemaking that carrot wines need to age two years to get good.

I just looked in my Winemaking by the Month recipe book. This carrot wine recipe calls to boil the carrots until soft, then drain them and use the water. That would be about 20 minutes so you're probably safe there. The recipe is for 1 gallon and calls for 3lbs of carrots. How much raw carrots did you use for the 5 gal?
Also and probably the most important, the last sentence reads. "NEVER DRINK A CARROT WINE UNTIL IT IS AT ONE YEAR OLD".
I believe that. I made a sweet onion wine in November and it's coming around. But 3 months ago, I wanted to throw it out. Time is your best friend.

Peaches: No, they didn't sit in the must with the yeast or the other stuff. The only contact they had was when I mixed the water, sugar, and carrots together and simmered it for about 30 minutes. Looking back on it, I think the main reason I didn't dump it in was because I was afraid it would overflow my six gallon bucket in displacing the must

cockroach: Two years?! Dang, good thing I've got some skeeter pee planned for the next batches, I was looking for more immediate gratification!

Once my LW and I went to a winery for a tasting. I commented on one young wine, "This has a earthy like smell and taste with also strong hints of wet dog fur and the excrements from its rear."

Lol

I'm still getting used to the whole notion of having to wait such a long while. I tend to move around a lot, will the wine be affected if it has to be transported to another house in a few months' time?

18 lbs should do the trick. I think it's going to be fine. As long as you can control the temp on the wine and still have it under airloc, I don't see why a move should hurt it. Unless they drop it of course ;)

I'm am still learning to wait. It's hard, but it's getting easier as I see what time does to improve the wine. You'll see. I bet you will start seeing a difference in about 2 months.

well it sounds like your on track then from what Lori has said. I'm glad I never tried to make it though cuz I tend to jump the gun :gb and I would of dumped it out lol but wait it out this has gotten me curious now with the must being only the water from boil and as far as the move as long as you have it secured wrapped in some blankets or what not packed tightly and theres probably a recipe on this site for carrot wine have you checked out the recipe section of this site?

While waiting for your carrot wine you can try a early drinking wine like Daves dragon blood or skeeter pee both in the recipe section of this site both wines have great revues!

That's what the two carboys coming in the mail are for, just got my lemon juice and other assorted goodies as well for SP. Pretty excited!

Latest posts

Back