Carboy-aging and SO2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungsBlock19

Junior
Reaction score
I have a number of 5-gallon carboys that I dosed with SO2 four months ago. I'd like to add some oak staves that I removed earlier and then continue to age for another 8-12 months. Question is, should I re-dose with SO2 (1gram 10% solution?) before replacing the solid bung? Second question would be how long do you leave wine in carboys before bottling?

Absolutely add Kmeta, between 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. You used oak staves, then took them out, now putting them back in? They’re sure to have bacteria on them so probably would soak in a light Kmeta solution for a few minutes before using. Personally I wouldn’t use them again after using once unless they were immediately rinsed and stored.

Age in carboys is personal choice but keys are
1. Stable and clear
2. Tastes the way your comfortably with

Whites can be ready in 6 months, reds can go a year depending on the style (I.e. a varietal styled for long term aging).

Absolutely add Kmeta, between 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. You used oak staves, then took them out, now putting them back in? They’re sure to have bacteria on them so probably would soak in a light Kmeta solution for a few minutes before using. Personally I wouldn’t use them again after using once unless they were immediately rinsed and stored.

Age in carboys is personal choice but keys are
1. Stable and clear
2. Tastes the way your comfortably with

Whites can be ready in 6 months, reds can go a year depending on the style (I.e. a varietal styled for long term aging).
I had removed the staves and immediately put them in the freezer. Opinion on that action?

Winemakers tend to (In my opinion) err on the side of caution. We sanitize, we add Kmeta to fresh fruit regardless if it needs it or not. These are all conservative approaches. Taking a stave out of a ferment, freezing it (in a baggie?), putting it back in the wine confuses me, but it’s “probably” ok. Why not just leave it in to begin with, but that’s your call. Oak gives up it’s flavors over time, at some point it is expended. Once used it may not give any flavor after a few months, but I don’t know that number. 12 months in the wine, I’m guessing it has no flavor left to give.

Compared to your time and effort, sanitizing is cheap and effective. Reusing staves is cheap but may not be effective. Using brand new staves for every application is cheap and effective. Tossing a batch because it got bacteria isn’t cheap or sustainable. I’ll bet your freezer isn’t sanitary. Take out the last item from way in the back and see if there are crumbs/dust in the freezer tray. Those particles are on your staves unless you took precautions.

Being a good winemaker sometimes means having a little OCD is a good thing. But don’t stifle your creativity, just be aware of the risks.

Winemakers tend to (In my opinion) err on the side of caution. We sanitize, we add Kmeta to fresh fruit regardless if it needs it or not. These are all conservative approaches. Taking a stave out of a ferment, freezing it (in a baggie?), putting it back in the wine confuses me, but it’s “probably” ok. Why not just leave it in to begin with, but that’s your call. Oak gives up it’s flavors over time, at some point it is expended. Once used it may not give any flavor after a few months, but I don’t know that number. 12 months in the wine, I’m guessing it has no flavor left to give.

Compared to your time and effort, sanitizing is cheap and effective. Reusing staves is cheap but may not be effective. Using brand new staves for every application is cheap and effective. Tossing a batch because it got bacteria isn’t cheap or sustainable. I’ll bet your freezer isn’t sanitary. Take out the last item from way in the back and see if there are crumbs/dust in the freezer tray. Those particles are on your staves unless you took precautions.

Being a good winemaker sometimes means having a little OCD is a good thing. But don’t stifle your creativity, just be aware of the risks.

All good points, Ohio Bob. Really appreciate your input and insight. I think I will just leave the carboys closed up as they are :)

be very careful using staves, oak chips, etc... - u can very easily over oak in a hurry
taste ur wine weekly - better to under oak than over oak - once u go beyond that line u can ruin your wine
if i want to taste wood i'll chew a piece of bark - is the saying

Back