WineXpert Buttery Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OilnH2O

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read with interest in several different postings about "buttery chardonnay" and decided to try it, per Cove Cottage's postive experience (noted on this site) and Tim V's instructions at http://www.finevinewines.com/Buttery-Chardonnay.htm

Knowing how some of you think
smiley2.gif
, maybe I should have split the kit into two 3-gallon carboys to compare with each other later. But, for a number of reasons I didn't do that (the first being that the CFO would have balked at even MORE carboys, the second that I didn't have any 3-gallon carboys... Okay, I initially had "no 3-gallon carboys" as the first reason, but being half-smart I thought about it... and realized the CFO's attitudetoward carboys, so soon after taxes, movedthat to the number one reason....).

The WE Selection InternationalAustralian Chardonnay kit was started April 2, racked to secondary on April 9 and left 10 days per instructions.On April 19 I deviated according to theinstructions written by TimV. (can be foundat the link above). First stirring of lees into suspension was on 4/19 and second today.

Realizing how "we all like pictures" I thought I'd post some I found interesting. The first is before stirring today. Note the cloudiness from top to bottom, with the solid lees on the bottom.

2006-04-24_120505_ButChard2Resiz.jpg

Note the obvious stratification in the next picture, taken against a light source. Clear at the top, then a second LAYER of "cloudy," then a third layer even more opaque on top of the 4th layer of solid lees.

2006-04-24_120852_ButChard1Resiz.jpg

While it may not appear as sharp, these layers were very distinct at the boundary. I first tilted the carboy back and forth, wondering if the cloudiness was in suspension or on the sides and that actionstirred the top of the layer -- I should have thought about the pictures first.Even so, the layer boundaries were very distinct.

2006-04-24_121200_ButChard3Resiz.jpg

The last picture is after stirring into suspension. This is similar to what it looked like after first racked into the secondary (carboy).

After the first stirring (into suspension) I got a little bubble action for awhile. As I post this it's been 45 minutes since the stirring and only two bubbles, butI already see a little settling and stratification beginning again.

For those not familiar with this process, it is called "battonage" and supposedly will "fatten up the finish" of the chardonnay. I'm not sure what that means, but we'll see!

smiley36.gif

Excellent post...I just received a Chardonnay kit myself and plan to do the same with mine!

smiley32.gif

So is this a technique specifically for Chardonnay or can it be used for other
wines to manage the taste?

From what I understand, it is used mainly with whites. Winepress had a lot of discussion on it -- here is one quote from Tim Vandergrift on a question about using it for a Luna Bianca:
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV =postcolor>"Sure, give it a shot with the Luna--I haven't done it with that kit, but it may well be very interesting! Be sure to let us know how it turns out. "
<DIV =postcolor></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV =postcolor dir=ltr>On a question about using the process onreds, Tim posted this:
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV =postcolor dir=ltr>
<DIV =postcolor>"It's not considered appropriate for a red--the flavours seem to come off like fatty bacon or rubber when up against tannins. "</BLOCKQUOTE>

These come from this discussion thread: [url]http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=10757&amp ;hl=buttery[/url]

Hope this is helpful -- YOU are the guy with the 5 stars up there in the corner -- I'm the newbie and ESPECIALLY so on this one!

Dave

Oil &amp; Water .... glad you decided to try the "battonage" technique. Don't think you will be disappointed! Let us know how it turns out. Margaret

OilnH20: I started a French Chard the exact same time that you did and am in the same step right now. Thanks for posting your experience because I was going to question wether it should clear as quickly as it does? I just gave mine another swirl after 2 days, and it was almost crystal clear. 10 minutes after mixing up, you could start to see it clear at the top, I questioned if this was normal? But after "seeing" your's, I guess it is. Im concerned that with all the steering, that it will remove all the co2 and opening it up all the time will oxidize the wine. Right now, Im still getting some action in the airlock, so Im safe so far, but don't want to take any chances and I have another 2 1/2 weeks left............ Getting nervous I guess......

Jobe,

I didn't take pictures this time, but (today) stirred through the neck of the carboy (with the handle of the long spoon George includes in the kits) and the spoon displaced the wine/must into the neck -- I only stirred in one direction and got the whole thing going around, but obviously that's not fast enough to introduce a "vortex." It just goes around within the carboy. It did NOT splash out of the carboy, even though within an inch of the top, but it DID spin enough to get the solid lees into suspension -- which is what the instructions say to do. I do NOT think it is being exposed to any oxygen, except at the carboy neck... a small area. But, I noticed that 15 minutes after stirring, settlement was already beginning, just as you described above!

That was 6 hours ago and the lees have already settled into the bottom inch, most of the rest of thecarboy is cloudy, and the top 3/4 inch in the neck of the carboy is clear! So, it must be "normal" for this to happen. I figure it's all part of the learning process!

smiley2.gif

Dave

Latest posts

Back