Burnt rubber smell to wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott_22

Junior
Reaction score
I occasionally make a gallon of wine out of juice just for fun. Every once in awhile, I get that terrible smell of burnt rubber. If racking does not work, I just throw away. I decided to make 5 gallons this time, of different flavors. Unfortunately, they all smell this way now that primary fermentation is complete. My question...Can I start racking immediately to try to eliminate odor, or do I need to wait until secondary fermentation is complete? I would prefer not to use any copper if I can help it.

First of all, I would start using a healthy nutrient protocol in the future to minimize the creation of H2S and thiols.

My opinion is that you can start splash racking now. You can suck up some of the lees while racking, so that you keep enough yeast on board to finish the fermentation (although I suspect you will be fine with just the free-floating yeast).

Thank you! I will rack immediately. I did use a yeast nutrient, although this was my first time using a store bought nutrient. I only put about a teaspoon per gallon though.
First of all, I would start using a healthy nutrient protocol in the future to minimize the creation of H2S and thiols.

My opinion is that you can start splash racking now. You can suck up some of the lees while racking, so that you keep enough yeast on board to finish the fermentation (although I suspect you will be fine with just the free-floating yeast).

I would prefer not to use any copper if I can help it.

I strongly suggest you use a product such as reduless that will remove the H2S safely without risking oxidation as you splash rack. Besides splash racking is not as effective as you think.

As @sourgrapes said, prevention is the real solution. Sufficient nutrition and preventing excess temperature during fermentation will help. You can also choose a more friendly yeast that doesn't stress as easily.

that terrible smell of burnt rubber

I'd also make sure your equipment is still good. Plastic buckets can harbor issues. Glass and stainless are best.

Latest posts

Back