Blends Consult

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qyhcat

Reaction score
Can someone please confirm types of blending methods:

1. Blending at bottling time?
2. Blend juice before fermentation?
3. any other?

thanks

Blending is typically done at bottling, or very shortly before. You want the taste of the individual grapes to come through, not be muddied by fermenting together.

Blending is typically done at bottling, or very shortly before. You want the taste of the individual grapes to come through, not be muddied by fermenting together.

Not for me. I always blend and ferment together.

I already know the blend that I want and it is WAY too much of a hassle for me to keep the different varietals separate. I also use the same yeast strain for 90% of my reds. I simply dump the grapes together and ferment and end up with rather nice wines.

Last edited:
Yep, you covered it. You can do it before you ferment, or after. If doing it after, you should wait until the wine has cleared and aged a bit, so shortly before bottling.

I don't do large enough quantities to warrant separate fermentation of several batches, so if I'm blending, I decide what I want before hand and dump it all in the fermenter together.

I have blended them post fermentation, well post bottling, actually post drinking to be precise.

Latest posts

Back