Added Fermax - 8 Brix in one day?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitmo234

Reaction score
Background: 2013 Nebbiolo crushed grapes in fermentation using BM 4x4 yeast. Starting Brix were 23, today (day 5) we're at 5.5 Brix, averaging 3.5 brix a day. Fermentation was slow to start, but I took a reading every day but day 2.

Once it hit 15 brix reading, or about 1/3 of the way through, I added Fermax exactly by dosing instructions... 5 teaspoons. That was at about 9 am yesterday morning. Today at 7 am it had a measured drop of 8 brix overnight, which is incredibly rapid.

Checked the temp and we're at 75 degrees. The yeast recommends 64-82 degrees fermenting. Prior to adding fermax it was fermenting at about 67 degrees.

Given the temperature parameters, should I be worried about the rapid fermentation? It's still kicking by the way. Judging by the air lock its slowed from yesterday but still steady.

5 gallons. Directions on the Fermax say to add 1 to 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of must

Fast fermentation in reds should not be a problem just keep an eye on the temp of the must. If the room is at 75 degrees your wine must could be quite a bit higher (over 80 perhaps). Excessive heat can cause loss of volatile flavors and element in your wine as well as stop fermentation if you exceed the yeast limits but again, with red wines temperatures are less of an issue. White wines are more delicate and turn out better if the temps are kept on the lower end of the yeast temperature tolerance.

Thanks, everything seems normal in the must. The temp in the must didnt get above 75 (that I saw) and prior to that was fermenting at 68-70. Room temperature down there is like 68-70

Your temps are just fine for a red wine. Typically, when I'm doing red grapes, getting the fermentation into the mid 80's for a day is a goal I shoot for to help with extraction.

As others have said, you're probably fine, the nutrient addition all at once may have allowed the yeast to go crazy for a while, splitting the dose into two or three additions during the first 2/3rds brix drop usually gives a smoother fermentation rate.

Latest posts

Back