20 yr port WOW

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chico

Junior
Reaction score
I just received a gift from a freind, A 20 year old bottle of Barros tawny port. I have always loved port. but never really spent alot on a bottle.
Thought I Ive tasted some good ones but now Im hooked. WOW there is so much going on in this bottle. Not sure she will make the night. Sitting here thinking about it makes me wish I had started making wine 20 years sooner. Oh well maybe next time a round. Cheers.

Ever get a chance chico try a Taylor Fladgate 10 year old tawny. I have had their 20 year old too and actually prefered the 10 over the 20

Waldo said:
Ever get a chance chico try a Taylor Fladgate 10 year old tawny. I have had their 20 year old too and actually prefered the 10 over the 20

Boy I'll second this and it goes great with my dairy free cheese cake or simply all my itself!
VC

Joan said:
A dairy free cheese cake? That's just wrong!

=)

Since dairy is out of the question, I have learned to adapt! It's also the reason I starting making wine. I was searching for a way to make cheese using sheep or goats milk and found a site that had cheese making, sausage making, beer making and wine making. I took a right turn at wine making and never looked back.
Now, if I could just make a port like Taylor Fladgate's 10 year old tawny!
VC

I have a friend whose son was allergic to cow's milk when he was little. It made him hyper beyond belief. She bought a couple of dairy goats. Problem solved as long as he stayed away from cow's milk. Every once in a while school called home in the afternoon saying he was out of control. She'd ask if he'd had milk at snack time. Sure enough.

Would a goat work in your situation. (Now you're going to tell me you live in an apartment, right?) =)

No, I don't live in an apartment, but goats & sheep would not work (or even be allowed because of deed restrictions). And the yard is pretty small and we are planning to make it smaller, my free lawn mowing service should be moving out so we gotta shrink the work
smiley2.gif
. I think my dog would have an issue as well!
Funny thing is allergies effect everyone differently. Mine are such that I need to avoid the proteins and sugars in cow dairy. Goats & sheep produce the same proteins just at varying levels so I try to keep goats and sheep milk products at a minimum, kind of a treat myself sort of thing and I stay away from buffalo because I have read that the levels are even higher then cow. The products that I use to replace cream cheese, sour cream, and butter that are really pretty good. My husband has even come around, he insisted I bake a pound cake for his office using "the real" ingredients. He came home and said it tasted greasy and could I make the other one!
VC

I am jealous, 20 year old Port!!!

I love Ports, If you guys ever get a chance, you should try a Prager Port. You can google them with Prager Port Works in Napa Valley. They make an incredible Port.

It is the least expensive of their Ports vcasey.... And it is AWESOME!!!

I sampled it, and bought some last time I was there.

You must try it.

Bogle vineyards also make a Sirah Port that is pretty danged good. I really like their Phantom too. Or at least their 2006 Phantom. I recived a couple bottles of it as a gift some time back and it went down pretty smooth

The wife and I love port; but we mostly stock on ports from Austrailia and...are you sitting down?...Missouri. There is some outstanding Ports being made in Missouri, especially from the Augusta and Hermann AVAs.

Yes, I know there are purists out there that will say that if it isn't from Portugal, then it isn't Port. I view the name Port as classification of a style, not an AOC/AVA/ETC.

For the Aussie Ports, Yulumba makes a couple of outstanding ones; Museum Reserve and Antique. Both are pricey, though. Our everyday port is Chateau Reynella Old Cave NV Tawny Port.

Chateau Reynella is the oldest winery in Australia. Old Cave is made on a 12 year solara system, and produces one of the best-value stickies we have ever had; and we've tried many...including all of the major Portos. At around $20 for a .750 ml, that is a bargain in my book.

Latest posts

Back