1/2 melomel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmer2

Reaction score
I want to start a batch of black-cherry and this is what I have
-16# sweet cherries
-1 [3#] can of sweet cherry puree
-2 [3#] can of black berry puree
5# Honey....local and it does not say what kind

Can I use the honey I have and if needed add some simple syrup to get starting sg up to 1.095. Get it to 6 gallons and add following
-nutrient at 1 tsp/gallon [step feed in 3 steps]
-energizer at 1/2 tsp/gallon
-pectin enzyme at 1/2 tsp/gallon
-kmeta 1/4 tsp
-Tannins ?????
- yeast, I have ec1118, d47, and Red Star Montrachet

I do have a PH meter so any suggestions about where PH should be

Thanks for the help

Dave

Last edited:
Yes you can use syrup or sugar to bring up the SG if the Honey is not ample to do the job. Your local non specific honey is most likely wild flower of varying verities.

1 1/2 Tsp tannin for 6 gallons

I would start with a pH of around 3.5 some Honey tends to become more acidic as it ferments. Acid blend can be added post fermentation to lower pH and increase mouth feel.

The 1118 or D47 would be my choice for yeast, but I would ferment at the lower end of the temperature tolerance for a slow ferment. This will bring the fruit forward. Around 63F.

I am out of acid blend right not but I do have some Tartaric and some high acid crab apple juice I was planning on using if needed.

Also should I add bentonite up front?

I never add bentonite to My meads and melomels, They really take some time to age so there is no rush for them to clear. It is just me but if they clear to fast I tend to want to taste them before they are really ready. A good melomel should be bulk aged for 8 months, and aged in the bottle for another 3 to 6 months. Then the fruit really jumps out at you. while the honey lingers on the pallet.

Mixed it all up last night and put cherries in mesh bag floating on the top. The SG was 1.080, will the fruit increase the SG some or will I have to add a little more simple syrup before pitching yeast?

The fruit will add a little but not much, at 1.080 your potential alcohol will be slightly below 12% which I find about right. Seems when a higher ABV is achieved the fruitiness is lowered. 12% offers good protection without burning off flavor. I would roll with it just as it is.

Latest posts

Back