When to back sweeten ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winofarmer

Confused Rookie
Reaction score
I am new to wine making and I have 2 1 gallon "test" batch's to the point of stabalized with no problems so far,nice and clear and no setiment.My question is do I back sweeten now then bulk age or bulk age and sweeten just before bottling? Thanks Lon

well Lon, first off welcome to winemakingtalk, that question is 6 of one and half a dozen of another. My idea is if you are planning on aging in the carboy then wait to backsweeten.

I like that idea, this way you can figure out on your own which way is the best for you.

I tend to wait until about 1 month before I know I want to get it bottled. That way the bulk aging process gives me time to decide if I want to use any of it for a blend, keep some of it dry-semisweet-sweet,etc. Lastly, I find if I wait to backsweeten I am less likely to steal from the carboy for "just a taste".
But I agree--since you have two one gallon containers for trial give it a whirl and see what works best for you!

Welcome to the forum.

I tend to wait until about 1 month before I know I want to get it bottled. That way the bulk aging process gives me time to decide if I want to use any of it for a blend, keep some of it dry-semisweet-sweet,etc. Lastly, I find if I wait to backsweeten I am less likely to steal from the carboy for "just a taste".
But I agree--since you have two one gallon containers for trial give it a whirl and see what works best for you!

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks saramc,I can see how it could become a bad habit sneeking a sample!!!

I've done both to see which I like the best. Its about the same as far as taste. There could be a problem with the wine having to clear again if you wait.

Latest posts

Back