when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a deal Joe, save a bottle aside and I'll let you know when my La Bodega, aged over 1 year old, is bottled and ready so we can trade..:HB

Coffee port

this kit is without a doubt a winner in every way a desert port can be with a little work and planning it could be yours.................:HB
Cru Coffee Port Kit
The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· 2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
· 1 Coffee Port F-Pack
· Package of bentonite
· Package of Metabisulphate
· Package of Potassium Sorbate
· Package of each Chitosan-D2 and kiesesol-D1(Fining Agents)

Our additions:
· Oak Tannin (Tannic Acid)
· Instant Coffee
· Spring Water

Tools you will need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (3 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend One-step or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 15 wine bottles, 15 corks , 15 seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an Italian floor corker.)

The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· We have our bucket measured to 3 gallons. The kit didn’t quite come to 3 gallons so we topped up until we reach 3 gallons.
· Add the bentonite and give it a good stir.
· Then add the oak tannin, stir, and then take your SG reading. It should read 1.10.
· We then took a PH test and it read 4.0. Typically, it should be around 3.5.
· Finally, we pitched the yeast, made up a tag, and covered it up to rest.

After it ferments dry: (Approx. 2 weeks)
  • After it fermented dry (SG: 0.98) we racked it into our secondary, 3 gallon fermentation carboy.
  • We had to take out approx. 1.5 wine bottles of wine out of the carboy so that we will have room for the coffee F-pack. We set that aside with an air-lock. If when we rack the wine again and we come up short and have extra air-space, we will add it.
  • We checked the ph of the wine and it is at 3.5 which is perfect for this type of port.
  • We added the sorbate, K-met packet, and gave it a good stir.
  • Next, we added packet #1 (of the 2 packet combination) of Kieselsol and set our time for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, we add packet #2 of Kieselsol and stirred again. (Learning tip: The reason for the 5 minute wait time is you are waiting for the molecules from packet #1 to bind to certain molecules in the wine. The second packet will bind to the molecules in the first packet and then the clearing process starts. (Positive and negative particles will attract, become heavy, and fall to the bottom of the carboy, taking the sediment with it.)
  • Next, we added the Coffee F-Pak. Note: Not all of the F pack fit into my 3-gallon carboy. I should have taken out possibly 2 bottles of extra wine instead of 1.5. I put the extra F-pak in the refrigerator. When I rack this again to a final mixing bucket I will add everything to the bucket and give it a good stir.

1 Ingridients.jpg

2 open bag.jpg

3 dump bag in.jpg

4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg

5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg

6 bentonite.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 ph reading.jpg

11 pitch yeast.jpg

Last edited:
Coffee port continued

follow the flow................:dbwhat you don't see edited is that we capitalized the wine .The instant coffee went it to the secondary 1 full tablespoon. This then boosted up the deep coffee flavor and added balanced to the alcohol and the tannins, after a short period on time a taste of chocolate starts to appear and ,what can I say WOW!

12or Port Racking (1).jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

IMG_20140920_110212516.jpg

Last edited:
follow the flow................:dbwhat you don't see edited is that we capitalized the wine .The instant coffee went it to the secondary 1 full tablespoon. This then boosted up the deep coffee flavor and added balanced to the alcohol and the tannins, after a short period on time a taste of chocolate starts to appear and ,what can I say WOW!

I'm going to make this one soon, I'm takin notes now. Hope it's as good as it sounds.

Coffee port

:hwhen your ready will do a swap, at a 375 bottle tasting ,when your ready.pm me your address.:h

Coffee Port First Place - Copy (2).jpg

Since I do not drink coffee I have to ask a dumb question, does the coffee port really tastes like coffee?

Yes but it can be mild or strong but in the end a delicious taste of chocolate.

Since I do not drink coffee I have to ask a dumb question, does the coffee port really tastes like coffee?

The wife likes coffee, I prefer espresso. Either way, it doesn't taste like coffee, more like a sickly sweet port with a hint of coffee aroma and flavor. Maybe Joe's tweaks really help transform it into something special, but we made it by the book and don't really think much of it.

Yes,you either tweak this kit out of it's mind,I have won 3 best of shows and at least 4 first place ribbons along the way,really. This truly a great kit to make even greater all's it takes is thinking outside the box! Really. JP

Hammonton wine contest

IT'S THE TIME FOR COMPETITIONS IN THIS STATE AND I'M GOING TO ENTER ALL I CAN FINE,THESE ARE THE END RESULTS FROM THIS YEARS ENTRÉES,:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db HAMMONTON IS A WELL RUN CONTEST BY THE ROTARY CLUB AND IT'S FIRST CLASS ALL THE WAY,11 , PRO JUDGES AND THE REST THE PEOPLE WHO PAYED $40,PER SEAT AND FILLED THE 250 SEAT ROOM HAD A BLAST!:db 19 FLIGHTS AND 90 WINE ENTRÉES,EACH FLIGHT =1 TABLE...THIS IS PEOPLE CHOICE AWARDS ,:ib THEY ARE AWARDED BY THE PAID ATTENDANCES AS THEY BECOME THE JUDGES AND EVALUATED EACH FLIGHT.PETTY COOL NIGHT.:ibTHIS IS WHAT IT ALL THE WORK COMES DOWN TO ,MAKING A WINES THAT REACHES OUT TO A BROAD SPECTRUM OF TASTES AND STYLES THAT CAN RELATE TO MANY NOT JUST THE FEW OR THE ONE,GOOD WINE MAKERS LEARN AS THEY GO THROUGH THE PROCESS AND GROW , DIVERSITY IN WINE MAKING AND THINKING IS WHERE IT'S AT, MY THOUGHTS ,WIN, LOSE OR DRAW I ALWAYS TRY TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.AND A BOVE ALL HAVE FUN..............:f1

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

6a.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:
Zinfandel pomegranate

This is the zinfedal pomagranet island mist kit ,this kit has never failed to place win or show for me no matter where i send it. Follow the flow and learn how to make the fpac,it adds to the mouthfeel of this wine.

1 kit ingridients.jpg

2 bentonite.jpg

3 added base.jpg

4 rinse grape bag.jpg

5 top up to 6 gal.jpg

6 First SG 1  04.jpg

7 added simple syrup.jpg

8 after 2 ball jars of simple syrup final SG is 1  07.jpg

8 start and finish SG readings.jpg

9 yeast on top.jpg

Zinfandel pomegranate continued

MORE TO GO STAY AWAKE:ftDON'T FORGET THE FPAC..............................................:f

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13 (2).jpg

13.jpg

16.jpg

IMG_20141029_185656083.jpg

IMG_20141104_172408316 - Copy.jpg

15 (2).jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Zinfandel pomegranate continued

Order of Pictures for F-Pak:
1. Rinse Berries
2. Add to the pan
3. add juice
4. change color
5. add a lid for a few mins
6. change colors and smoosh
7. more cooked down
8. finished f-pak
9. add to bag

IMG_20141029_190730038.jpg

IMG_20141029_190742818_HDR.jpg

2 spoon out seeds.jpg

3 put in pan.jpg

4 added some amarone about 1 cup.jpg

5 put the lid on and steam juice.jpg

7 finished product.jpg

IMG_20141029_192959482.jpg

IMG_20141029_191646878.jpg

Last edited:
australian shirza/ viognier

I have found all of the cru blended kits to be fun to work with and very taste in the end follow the process on this one.:HB.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:
Joe,

You say you capitalize your wines. Looking at the picture, I'm guessing that is some type of simple syrup and you're talking about adding sugar to your wines when you say that?

@joeswine So it looks like you only make the Fontana into 5 gal.
The Cru and Island Mist pics show 6 gal.
Is this correct?

in the mix wineforfun

THATS CORRECT ,WITH FONTANA KITS THE BODY AND ABV. ARE ALL BOOSTED WITHOUT MUCH EFFORT BY JUST REDUCING THE BASE VOLUME,THE ISLAND MIST KITS NEED TO STAY WHERE THEY ARE DO TO THE FACT THE FPACS THAT COME WITH THEM ARE HIGHLY CONCENTRATED YET THE ABV WHICH IS AROUND 1.08 CAN BE WEAKENED BY THE SWEETNESS OF THE FPACS.THAT'S WHY I BRING THEM UP TO 1.10.THE CRU KITS ARE AT THERE BEST JUST AS THEY ARE WITH A SMALL AMOUNT OF TWEAKING,ESPECIALLY THE BLENDED ONES.SO YOU SEE IN MY OPPION THEY ARE ALL WINE KITS BUT NEED TO TREATED DIFFERENTLY DO TO THEIR KIT STRUCTURE.GOT IT!:h

Latest posts

Back