when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tepe
smiley1.gif

I THINK WHAT I'm GOING TO DO IS GET A 6 OF CAL. WHITE ZIN,AND BEFORE STARTING WITHHOLD A QUART OF THE RAW PRODUCT,KILL WHAT EVER YEAST IS IN IT AND SEE HOW IT WORKS OUT FOR A TRUE FPAC,the timing is important for this experiment because I should be introducing the fpac in the third racking ,adding back to the wine after removing most of the Debra,,at least thats the plan also I think when the Italians arrive I'll GO BACK TO PHILLY AND TRY THERES AGAIN THATS WERE i STARTED FROM ,SO i WILL HAVE COME FULL CIRCLE
smiley32.gif

NEVER AGAIN
smiley19.gif

MY friend KITO vowed never again to list to his wifes winening,he will never back sweeten a kit again,,Once the sugars in and strong ,its in,,,,live and learn.
smiley9.gif

On another note my almond extract is starting to do its thing,I wasn't sure I could pull the essence out but its starting to do just that 15 days into the process no oil residue,yet.

BOTTLING TIME
smiley2.gif

LAST NIGHT MY FRIEND MS.T ARRIVED AND BOTTLED HER PEACH ICE WINE,SHE THOUGHT IT WOULD BE MUCH SWEETER ,I INDICATED TO HER TO LET IT SIT AND SEE WHAT TRANSPIRES.,MY QUESTION IS HOW SHOULD THIS KIT FINISH OUT?

SHE ALSO RACKED HERchardenay ,IT JUST FINISHED MLF,AND I WAS GOING TO PUT A TOUCH OF OAK IN IT ,SHE WANTED ME TO DUPLICATE A COPPOLA STYLE CHARD,WHICH IS VERY GOOD,THE TOP HALF OF THIS WINE WAS DONE JUST LIKE THE LABEL INDICATED,GOOD BODY (FOR A WHITE)MADE A GRAPE PACK LET IT SIT FOR 4 DAYS,MLF,TO SMOOTH IT OUT,NOW A TOUCH OF LIQUID OAK TANNINS,THEN LET IT SIT TO MATURE....SO FAR ITS ON TARGET ,THERE OTHER PORTION OF THE LABEL INDICATED THERE WINE WAS ALSO A BLEND OF CHARD.IN BOTH STAINLESS AND OAK..INTERRESTING...TO BE CONTINUED .......PICS COMING SOON...
smiley17.gif

BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU ASK FOR

last night i got a phone call ,"hello mr. joe " got what you been asking for(ME?)..what are they bob thirty five pounds of costa rica plums...and they were beauties...IM going to turn these babies into palm wine and plume spices wine.....stay tooned ...
smiley9.gif

OFF TO WORK WE GO
smiley9.gif

ok started the costa rican plums today 35lbs of them ,as started above destoned them,cut them into quarters,placed them in a cuisinart (processor) blended them down to a puree,then cooked them in 3 different pots at the same time(NEEDED TO BALANCE OUT THE HEAT LOAD AND HANDLEING TIME ),ADDED SUGAR ABOUT A CUP ANS A HALF TO BRRING OUT THE PLUM,THEN MAGIC HAPPENED, THEY WENT FROM A BEAUTIFUL REDISH HUE TO A VEVID REDINSH PURPLE,and tasted great,the total quantity should have yielded somewhere around 6 gallons,but i added enough water for five gallons, Iwanted a stronger taste in the plum,I can always dilute the sauce after if needed,(not if I can help it),also at this time I added pectin enzyme,1 teaspoon per gal....yeast comes tomorrow........stay tooned
smiley2.gif

A YEASTING WE WILL GO
smiley2.gif

smiley17.gif
TODAY I added the yeast,RED STAR MONTRACHET.this yeast will add the characteristics i want in a fruit wine,you know not all kits come with the best yeast, sometimes IT pays to investigate the type of wine and amount of aging it will require in selecting the proper yeast characteristics that your profile (wine) should have,this is a fruit wine to be enjoyed in as completed or with in a year,while its still full of that fresh fruit taste and body,although I have fruit wines that are 4/5 years old and still very good ,it all depends on your process yeast and chemicalization proceed to keep the wine stable and healthy.I

T HIS WINE MAY GO SEVERAL DIFFERENT DIRRECTIONS AT ONCE ,WHEN COMPLETED,first basic wine,second cello and last but not least a spiced wine for the holiday...but that's later ...to be continued.
smiley9.gif

THE CAPS RUNITH OVER
smiley32.gif

HOUSTON we have fermentation on all three wines the plum is exceptional,the other two are normal.when I walked down the cellar stairway the fragrance of the plum hit me ,what a order,,,,things are looking good............
smiley16.gif

ITS WERE IT LANDED
smiley36.gif

granted it doesn't belong their but ITS were (when good wines gone bad )landed and there it is,,which has a great follow up on blending..to come, this is another part of what all good wine makers need to know how to do ,either as a learning experience or a need to do experience,to read or not to read your choice...sorry if it bothered you
smiley2.gif

A VERY GOOD NIGHT
smiley31.gif

WELL tonight was the vineland wine contest and I didn't do badly took first place with my raspberry wine and second place with my white zin/pomegranate,,entered four but these two made it to the finish line..
smiley2.gif
....remember I had stated back in the beginning of this thread that I would by a kit that sounded interesting and try to duplicate it,well this is one of those,cal/white zin( after 1yr.)and POM /pomegranate juice.. TASTE WAS well rounded and flavorful..not to sweet not to dry..excellent chilled (just a little) one of those party wines my wife can't keep her hands off
smiley36.gif
it can be fun.

THINK OUT SIDE THE BOX PEOPLE AND KEEP IT FUN
smiley16.gif

Keep it up Joe ! I'll be waiting patiently for the next installment.

Pete

Way to go Joe. You deserve it, your wines are great.

Just to inspire you let me mention that I opened a bottle of wine for my wife's birthday this past weekend that I had blended myself. She loves this proprietary blend from Italian winemaker L'Arco called Rubio. So I saved a two Ltr of Valpolicella Repasso (corvina) until the Rosso Fortussimo (cabernet, Merlot and Sangeovesse) was ready to bottle and blend 4 Ltr of it with the Valp. The sour cherry and oak of the Val combined with the fruit forward of the RF made a fantastic blend. I added a few ounces of simple syrup to cut the brightness and believe I nailed it. The L'Arco Rubio sells for $40.00.

Okay Joe, teach us how you do it!

Back