when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TEPE I believe I got the big container from richmond hardware in buena,although brett may also be able to get it locally,also try the powdered chestnuts ,smooth.....if you also search look up glucose for wine making let me know what you find????

AMARONE JUST TWEETED
smiley17.gif

well its been at least two weeks since I been down in the cellar and have been very busy in my ac business,however back to the amarone..remember how it started a medium grade kit ,the only flavor was in the juice and it was tasty,well now after adding the oak in layered,IM ready to add the final layer of oak,add the chemical and remove the raisins,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,here's how it finished out, great body ,good deep taste and love the alcohol just enough bite at 13%,this amarone could sit up for another 6 mos. and will only improve ,however its ready now...and didn't take years ,don't get me wrong it will improve with age but really that's the the strong suit of a kit ,....added oak in layers for body,raisinsto infusedepth and abv.....ready to go.......try it you'll like it.....THINKOUTSIDE THE BOX
smiley2.gif

EXTRACTS
smiley2.gif

heres a good way to use extract of cinnamon and extract or orange.............main wine type PLUM..PLACE 4 BOTTLES OF PLUM WINE IN A LARGE POT, TO THAT ADD EXRTACT OR F ORANGE AD EXTRACT OF CINNIMON TO TAST WHICH EVER TAST YOU WANT TO BE PROMINEMT THATS THE EXTRACT TO GO HEAVERY,LET THE WINE MIX SIT FOR 24HRS, IN THE RERIGERATOR,remove and do a final taste test,this makes a great holiday wine and will sit up well all year long ,just one of the many different wines and drinks you can make on your own.....using extracts,

do you know how to make extracts? This is a very simple and old world method of infusion's wine with fruit..

EX. cinnamon ;;take a half of dz. cinnamon sticks and place in a ball canning jar,with ether everclear or vodka...the difference between the two is vodka finishes soft and not as pronounced forever (strong extract,while the everclear finishes hi alcohol and strong if flavor,it goes further than vodka because you don't have to use as much to achieve the flavor you desire...extract whether oranges ,lemons for limoncello, or any citrus additives are great to have in your tool kit and fun to work with..................EXTRACTS..........

A GRAPE IN THE HAND
smiley36.gif

lets say you have a white wine that finishes out with a very lite body,what can you do ,try this if the wine is totally finished,and stabilized go to the super market look in the produce section theres always fresh green grapes in season, need 5 lbs.,take them home wash them and destem them by hand,in a colander squeeze them by hand don,t worry about the seeds at this point,after squeezing place the the juice back in a large pot and strain through cheese cloth,place the grapes in the carboy,add the juice to fill ,if theres any left over place in a separate container with a air lock for later,the grapes will float to the top,after a few days you'll start to see little bubbles ,thats the wine and the grapes starting to work with each other,by the end of week 3,(now comes the hard part) remove the juice then dump the grapes ,place the juice in a clean and sanitizes container check the SG....if fermentation is still taking place let it go until finished,then use chems and finding agent..the wine should have greater body ......after the body ,remember the ST if you would like to try
smiley2.gif

smiley2.gif

CHILEAN CHANTI

JUST TALKED TO ANOTHER WINE MAKER AT A DIFFERENT SITE AND HE IS PLANNING TO SPLIT HIS CHANIT INTO TWO DIFFERENT WINES THE FIRST WILL ENFUSE RASINS AND THE SECOND HES NOT SURE OF EITHER TO ZEST IT OR FPAC ,I SUGGESTED TO HIM TO TO DO THE RASIN AND HOW I WOULD PROCEED AND TO THE LATTER I THOUGHT BECAUSE CHANTI IS SUPPOSED TO BE DRY WHY NOT A BLACKBERRY FPAC FRESH SQUEEZED STYLE.......THIS WILL GIVE HIM TO DESTINTIVELY DIFFERENT WINES IF HE PULLS THEM OFF CORRECTLY,NOW THATS THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX.................

THE QUESTION..
smiley17.gif

as a small wine maker if you found a wine that you were processing and something started to go wrong. Would you throw itout, or try and fix it?

Thats
smiley1.gif
thequestion?

CELLOS ANYONE
smiley23.gif

smiley20.gif
ON the next addition of this thread I'll do a short on the making of cellos

Joe,
Untill you said Cello's I forgot the Coffee one I started months ago. Guess it's ready to mix. What ratio (everclear/simple syrup to the extract) do you use?

Yep, I need to start some Lemon. Got two Myer Lemon trees almost ready for picking. Will use the juice for wife's lemon drops.

EXPRESSO CELLO
smiley32.gif

HERES HOW I DO IT ,

1.12 CPS OF FRESH EXPRESSO COFFEE
2. COFFEE EXTRACT
3. SIMPLE SYRUP

FIRST THE EXTRACT ,IN A QUART JAR,FILL WITH GOOD QUALITY COFFEE BEANS THEN FILL THE JAR WITH EVERKLEER,AND LET SET FOR 2 MONTHS,AFTERTHAT TIME FRAME REMOVE THE BEANS AND REFIILL THE NOWENFUSED EVERKLEER WITH FRESH BEANS LET IT SET AMOTHER MONTH.....................THATS DONE.
smiley32.gif

NOW YOU HAVE THE EXTRACT
smiley2.gif

MAKING THE CELLO IS A MATTER OF TASTE ,WHEN YOU HAVE THE DESIRED TASTE OF THE COMBINATION OF EVERKLEER AND COFFEEBEANS,FINED A LARGE POT,INTO IT PLACE THE EXPRESSO (12 CUPS)THEN THEEXTRACT ADDED SIMPLE SYURP TO TASTE ,EVERTHING I CREATE IS TO TASTE,.
smiley32.gif
THEN STIR,LET IT ALL SIT IN THE REFRIGERATER OVERNIGHT,HAVE YOUR BOTTLES READY,TASTE THE MIX IS IT GREAT THEN ITS READY TO BOTTLE,IF IT NEEDS ADJUSTMENT NOWS THE TIME ,ADJUST ,TASTE AND BOTTLE.
smiley4.gif
....IF YOU TOOK HE TME TO READ THIS THREAD THEN YOU'LL UNDERSTAND JUST HOW MUCH WORKING WITH EXTRACTS AND ZEST CAN BE,TO THIS CRAFT WE CALL WINE MAKING
smiley36.gif

PICS TO FOLLOW?
smiley3.gif
PLUS .HOW TO MAKE OTHER EXTRACTS AND USED.....STAY TOONED
smiley32.gif

CHILEAN BREAKDOWN
smiley19.gif

I have two wines one is a melbec the other a caremere,from this springs imports,the melbec I know I wanted to deepen its base and so I added raisins up front and French oak,to the other of which I have made before I did nothing,,,,time passes...went to taste the product and felt that the melbec started to gain good legs and that deep taste that a melbec should have ,but being young really need more time to come around (understood),the carmera however was a stark contrast to the latter,no body ,no real character at all yet alone any legs ,what to do?
smiley19.gif

I started back with the melbec- added another shot of raisins and liquid tannin,will use powder oak later as a layering effect,to the caremere I added white raisins and oak cubes to start the building process,I think that sometimes the juice were buying just is poor in quality to start...this is when you need to think outside the box and regain control of your wine ,no what the chartists should be and attempt to correct a young wine before you have wasted a years Worth of time.
smiley2.gif

WE video taped a whole segment on zest and extracts last night only to find we had a problem downloading on my computer ,so we are going back the the drawing board ,but I shall over come
smiley3.gif

Just wondering why you think the juice isnt that god but keep buying it. Sure you can improve it but starting off with a better product almost always ends up with a better product. When you going to take the leap into buying grapes my friend? I made a couple of buckets and didnt like them at all and feel you are spot on with quality and have a few friends who feel exactly the same way. I feel the kits are better quality then those juice buckets but grapes are the cats a$$! Im wondering how this new MM Sonoma buckets are as they are juice and skins frozen and just need to warm up.

The past year + I been experimenting juice buckets.
Yes I get them.
Yes they have "some" concerns.
Yes Joeswine is also using the "Tool Kit".

and I am experimenting with... Adding Grape Skins (FVW) and adding a lug of grapes to another. Jury still out on all butt, looks much more promising than straight wine juice.

I guess the correct reply is ,I do what I do and should really stop and try something different,we came to realize that the chilean had the best overall finish product,but I guess the question is still the same the last three years the wines base has gotten thinner,at least I believe so,thats why I stated early on Im making fewer wines but better quality,besides I do like the tinkerring with them,may be the answer tom is need to find another sorce,what do you think,,need your help also with this video I put together tom,,

There is also that guy in Philly and C&C Vineland

Latest posts

Back