What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posted this to the wrong thread last night...

Sitting in my recliner, watching the jets actually winning against the patriots. I have some family up for Christmas. time to open a good one..

I opted for a bottle of my 2004 pinot noir. at the risk of sounding like i am boasting, this is fantastic! i have not tasted it in years, so this was a very nice surprise. wow, is it good...

this is the best part of our passion. i find it really cool that i can enjoy something i did 10 years ago! this must be the best of all possible time capsules...

2010 CADUCEUS Anubis. Dang. Pleasantly surprised. Maynard done good!

IMG_0179.JPG

He seems to have the Midas touch in all his endeavors.:r

What I find interesting is that he is now sourcing all his grapes from New Mexico these days. Don't know if he gave up on growing his own in AZ or needed a steady supply chain which he can get from Deming for sure. Only problem is he has the highest price per bottle for any wine made from New Mexico grapes. You can by a pretty darn good cab from DH Lescombes (owned by St. Clair) for ~$20 and he is asking $40-50 a pop. All the grapes come from the same area within 10 miles of each other basically. Rock Star wine and a Rock Star price!

What I find interesting is that he is now sourcing all his grapes from New Mexico these days. Don't know if he gave up on growing his own in AZ or needed a steady supply chain which he can get from Deming for sure. Only problem is he has the highest price per bottle for any wine made from New Mexico grapes. You can by a pretty darn good cab from DH Lescombes (owned by St. Clair) for ~$20 and he is asking $40-50 a pop. All the grapes come from the same area within 10 miles of each other basically. Rock Star wine and a Rock Star price!

I wasn't aware that he was sourcing grapes from NM. I would bet it's because he can't keep up with current demand solely from his own vineyard. I would imagine a lot of his music fans buy his wine regardless of comparable value, simply because he is who he is, whether or not they're even wine drinkers. We purchased a few bottles early on in his winemaking endeavors, which were reasonably priced for the quality of the wine, but we haven't purchased anything in years due to the inflated pricing you mentioned above. I'm guessing you've seen his movie Blood into Wine?

Yea, that is one of my favorite wine documentaries (blood into wine)! Last I read was that MJK and Eric had a falling out and parted ways.

Looks like a…….. trend of sorts!

I actually topped off a MM AJ Amarone with a bottle of that back when I first started out and didn't know any better. Don't think it helped that AJ all that much! :)

Looks like a…….. trend of sorts!

I actually topped off a MM AJ Amarone with a bottle of that back when I first started out and didn't know any better. Don't think it helped that AJ all that much! :)

I'm not sure if that's a statement about the Veronese, or the AJ. ;)

2008 Nine Hats Syrah. This is the 2nd tier label for Long Shadows Winery. I snag them at Costco for ~$18 or so. These are amazing wines that can be cellared for years. If your looking for a $20 bottle of wine that taste like a $40 bottle Nine Hats is your friend.

61Ub86+f+tL.jpg

I was drinking bad wine at home, then I went to the local wine shop and had a few flights, then came home and had a decent pour here with dinner. Our first tastings included a Cotes du Rhone (Anne Delaroache), a nice Spanish blend (Bodegas Carchello; Monastrell, Tempranillo, Syrah, and Cabernet Sauvignon ). The winner was a new one on me, called "Aviary," a Napa red blend of Cab, Zin, Merlot, and Petit Syrah. It was excellent, and at only about $15/bottle, seemed like quite a bargain. Brought one home for "further study."

One of the flights I concocted was a tour through South America. I had a Carmenere/Syrah blend (Mayu 2012 from the Elqui Valley) that had so many smoky/tobacco notes that it was on the edge of tasting like an ashtray! :sm Also had a Pulenta "la flor" Malbec from Mendoza, and a Punto Final Cab Sauv. from Mendoza. Very nice all!

At home, I am drinking a "La Mer" Pinot from the Santa Maria Valley, CA.

Life is rough, you know? :D

A lot was in my glass tonight, and I am not done yet! :D

Our "cooking wine" before dinner was a nice Carneros Pinot Noir. We had lamb for dinner, so it was accented by a 2006 7 Deadly Zins. (This is the next-to-last bottle of a case that I laid away years ago.) After dinner, I racked the WE Amarone I am working on, so, of course, I had some of that. I topped the carboy with a CC Amarone that I made a year ago, one of my first wines. So, of course, I had some of that, too! :)

Life is rough..... :D

I am sharing a drink they call loneliness. but it's better than drinking alone!

Not in order of consumption:

Lagunitas sucks
Manhattan
Chianti
Orange sherbet mimosa
Browns cream ale
Sierra Nevada Celebration ale!

Back