What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried an En Primeur Cabernet made by another member of the local guild. It was good, but not at all what I expected! Much lighter tasting, bright fruit, etc. Even though the colour was SO dark you couldn't see through it, and it had legs like crazy.

Excellent experience.

I am excited! A friend gave us a bottle of Marquette wine from Wisconsin's Door County. I am eager to try a Marquette, given what Greg and some others have had to say about it. I probably won't crack it tonight, since I should share it with her!

I tried an En Primeur Cabernet made by another member of the local guild. It was good, but not at all what I expected! Much lighter tasting, bright fruit, etc. Even though the colour was SO dark you couldn't see through it, and it had legs like crazy.

Excellent experience.

Do you happen to know how old it was?

An unusual one in my glass tonight. I am enjoying a 55% Lemberger (AKA Blaufrankisch)/ 45% Cab Franc. It is vintage 2012 from Anthony Road in the Finger Lakes region (Seneca Lake, to be exact).

It is very tasty, but it is thinner than Kate Moss. Not sure what to make of it on those grounds.

Off the wine and sipping a so so brandy.E &J.it really is a smooth brandy for the $.

Do you happen to know how old it was?

Hey Jim, I don't actually know how old it is - I need to ask during the next meeting. Do you think it was very young? It did not taste green, that's for sure, but it was very fruit forward.

Have you made this kit before?

Hey Jim, I don't actually know how old it is - I need to ask during the next meeting. Do you think it was very young? It did not taste green, that's for sure, but it was very fruit forward.

Have you made this kit before?

I haven't made that particular kit, but did two EP kits in June and July of 2013 (Amarone and Pinot Noir). My experience has been that they are slow to come around. In fact, 5 gallons of the Pinot Noir is still in a carboy. I think it is finally ready to bottle and I hope to do so in the next month. The Amarone is good (took a silver in the WMT Big and Bold Contest), but still has a young, fruit forward taste to it. I got a note from @TonyT a couple months back saying his EP Pinot was bottled at 12 months, but didn't 'blossom' until about 18 months.

I haven't made that particular kit, but did two EP kits in June and July of 2013 (Amarone and Pinot Noir). My experience has been that they are slow to come around. In fact, 5 gallons of the Pinot Noir is still in a carboy. I think it is finally ready to bottle and I hope to do so in the next month. The Amarone is good (took a silver in the WMT Big and Bold Contest), but still has a young, fruit forward taste to it. I got a note from @TonyT a couple months back saying his EP Pinot was bottled at 12 months, but didn't 'blossom' until about 18 months.

Interesting. I tried the same guy's EP Pinot Noir and it was incredible. Did you or TonyT notice a lot of blackberry in that one?

I'm definitely going to look into this more for sure. I am hoping to mostly start into RJS kits moving forward for higher end kits and it's always good to know which need that extra time.

Interesting. I tried the same guy's EP Pinot Noir and it was incredible. Did you or TonyT notice a lot of blackberry in that one?

I'm definitely going to look into this more for sure. I am hoping to mostly start into RJS kits moving forward for higher end kits and it's always good to know which need that extra time.

Yes the EP PN has tons of berry flavor. I'd say more red berries rather than dark berries.

Yes the EP PN has tons of berry flavor. I'd say more red berries rather than dark berries.

Nice. But it seems to me that they're recently changed the vineyard or location they get the grapes from - I think? Chile to California or something. Or did I totally hallucinate that?

I really wanted that Pinot Noir kit for myself, but I'm not sure I will like the new formulation. I'm always afraid I'll end up with a meaty tasting one :s Not for me!

CC Showcase Yakima Syrah. It had it's first birthday about ten days ago. Still a little kit taste, which is odd, considering it had tannins and barrel time. Either way, its pretty good. Glad I still have 2 cases left - it needs a little more time to rest.

Nice. But it seems to me that they're recently changed the vineyard or location they get the grapes from - I think? Chile to California or something. Or did I totally hallucinate that?

Nope, no hallucination. The one I did is from New Zealand. The one currently offered on FineVineWines is Chilean.

Not an early drinker. 18-24 months to get medal worthy!

CC Showcase Yakima Syrah. It had it's first birthday about ten days ago. Still a little kit taste, which is odd, considering it had tannins and barrel time. Either way, its pretty good. Glad I still have 2 cases left - it needs a little more time to rest.

Pretty sure you don't have to worry about that. The Syrah's that have the funky wild game, bacon, umami flavors come from the Rocks area of WA State and Oregon. The grapes are in such high demand that bottles of wine from this tiny AVA go for $60 to $150 a bottle so I doubt any Kit manufacturer will ever get their hands on any of that fruit. Way too expensive!

I'm always afraid I'll end up with a meaty tasting one :s Not for me!

Pretty sure you don't have to worry about that. The Syrah's that have the funky wild game, bacon, umami flavors come from the Rocks area of WA State and Oregon. The grapes are in such high demand that bottles of wine from this tiny AVA go for $60 to $150 a bottle so I doubt any Kit manufacturer will ever get their hands on any of that fruit. Way too expensive!

So...no one has run into a kit with that meaty flavour? That's a big relief!

I'm thinking the Pinot Noir - when I was at a wine tasting event last year I was determined to find one I liked and totally struck out. They all had a meaty gamey taste. Totally not what I like :) Those folks can keep their expensive, meaty Syrahs too.

Best Pinot Noir's so far for me have been:
EP New Zeland Pinot noir
Meiomi Pinot Noir (from the LC)

So...no one has run into a kit with that meaty flavour? That's a big relief!

I'm thinking the Pinot Noir - when I was at a wine tasting event last year I was determined to find one I liked and totally struck out. They all had a meaty gamey taste. Totally not what I like :) Those folks can keep their expensive, meaty Syrahs too.

Best Pinot Noir's so far for me have been:
EP New Zeland Pinot noir
Meiomi Pinot Noir (from the LC)

I like Meiomi, but to me, it is a little sweet. Just me?

I think it's the American oak they use that gives it a bit of perceived sweetness. But most people I know don't seem to notice :) I love that vanilla tone it has.

Back