What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A wonderful Primitivo from A California winery called Brutacoa. We received a case and a half from them today, along with some Quadriga and Dolcetta. Oh so very tasty. And if anyone cares, they have $0.01 shipping here for a bit. I have no connection to the winery, just love the wine. Mendocino County right on the Russian River.

2012 California Cabernet Sauvignon, I tried this 6 months ago and was very disappointed in the mouthfeel and flavor, it was very thin and lacking a lot of flavor. I opened a bottle today and this wine just fills my mouth, very close to chewy, I really like a nice thick wine. Black current flavor comes thru very strong with a nice faint flavor of green peppers, eucalyptus and mint.

Dinner party on the patio last night. Perfect weather. Smoked 2 port butts and 2 racks of baby backs. Popped the corks on two (actually 3) really good bottles of wine. 07' Sequel Syrah and an 07 Sparkman Ruby Leigh (Bordeaux blend)

102608wine2_t607.jpg

Sequel-Columbia-Valley.jpg

Both are from WA State and both were flat out amazing. WA State is making some killer wines these days.

The 3rd bottle was one of my own. I opened a bottle of my '11 El Bueno y El Malo y El Feo which is a blend of my left overs. Malbec, Cab Franc and Petit Verdot. For such a weird blend this wine turned out really good.

Good friends, good food and good wine!

Ooh, I love sparkman. I have a bottle of the Darkness syrah just waiting for the right time.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

The 3rd bottle was one of my own. I opened a bottle of my '11 El Bueno y El Malo y El Feo which is a blend of my left overs. Malbec, Cab Franc and Petit Verdot. For such a weird blend this wine turned out really good.

What's weird? That is just your typical Bordeaux blend, right? :) :)

I was joking, but I suppose 300 years ago, it may well have been typical.

I think the Syrah actually went a little better with the BBQ than the Bordeaux blend but it was a tough call! :hug

Ooh, I love sparkman. I have a bottle of the Darkness syrah just waiting for the right time.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Finally opened my first 750ml of my first white, CC Sterling Pinot Grigio at about 7.5 months old. It is quite nice now, with loads of citrus (and not a lot else), not amazing, but on par with a $5-8 bottle I'd say, which is good enough considering it cost $2.75/bottle. (And happily, it didn't fall apart by the next day when I finished it!)

Now if only my Mezza Luna Red would come around. Will probably stick to higher end reds as (so far for me) the high end kits are pleasant earlier than the low-ends.

I'm enjoying a Tincho. It's "New Age", served over ice, with a lime wedge. New Age is a 10% Sauv Blanc, 90% Torrontes that is very slightly sweet and a touch sparkling. Very refreshing.

WE Selection Series Borolo, followed the directions to the letter. It's just delightful.

I'm at a meeting in Seattle. I am back in my hotel room after a long day and just ordered a glass of a 2011 Erath Pinot Noir. Very nice.

Menage a Trois Zinfandel. If I recall correctly, Menage a Trois's wines were originally a blend of three grapes. Then they had single-varietal wines with grapes sourced from three different regions. This one is 100% Lodi, so I guess they no longer feel the need to justify the "Menage a Trois" labeling!

(By the way, for the curious, menage a trois simply means household of three in French. The more licentious meaning is only implied.)

Last edited:
having a glass of my tweaked cabernet its pretty good if I do say myself, haven't bottled it yet I racked it into a smaller carboy and drinking what is left over:b

Dinner party on the patio last night. Perfect weather. Smoked 2 port butts and 2 racks of baby backs. Popped the corks on two (actually 3) really good bottles of wine. 07' Sequel Syrah and an 07 Sparkman Ruby Leigh (Bordeaux blend)

Is that a Reidel decanter? I have the same one.

I capped off last night with a glass of my Gala Apple wine. It took third place this weekend at a local amateur winemakers show in the fruit wine category.

Enjoying a bottle of 2011 CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah with some of the left over pulled pork. Dang for a kit wine this wine rocks, too bad they discontinued it.

WA state grows some great Syrah that goes great with BBQ!

Down to about 10 bottles of this one…… :(

Back