What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that and was wondering how you came upon it. I used to buy it by the case and split it up with a buddy but have not snagged any in a while. Subplot is usually a 5 star QPR wine IMHO. It usually is a single vintage wine. The Bookwalter "Notebook NV" is their almost as good and half the price NV wine. By the case and with discounts I have snagged it for about $10 a bottle and sometimes they even have free shipping on a case. For a screw top wine it can't be beat. Good choice!

Tonight, we had a wine that Mike ( @ibglowin ) would approve of. It was a J. Bookwalter offering called "Subplot No. 25." This appears to be a non-vintage wine, but we have been holding on to it since about 2012. 48% Merlot, 33% Cab. Sauv., 5% Syrah, 4% Cab. Franc, 4% Petit Verdot, 4% Malbec, and 2% Barbera. And 100% delicious.

The next to last bottle of my 2013 RJS Super Tuscan. As we say down here, that was a gooden.

Last nights Christmas feast wine. 2008 Columbia Crest Reserve Cabernet (Magnum!)

93pts WS and it lived up to its praise. Freaking fantastic bottle of wine and a perfect pairing that just got better and better with every pour.

IMG_1902.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 10.13.46 AM.png

Last edited:
Brought some Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc and Columbia Crest Grand Estates 2014 Cab over to my mother-in-laws. Both were huge hits with everyone. I got some really good feedback on the SB - most didn't know I'd made it and were very impressed when they found out I did. I can't take too much credit on that one for simply following directions, but bit it is still nice to get good feedback.

I brought a bottle of Pundit Syrah over to my parents', but didn't realize that Dad wanted to be serving the same wine that was going into his au jus. So we had to suck it up and drink Pride Cabernet. We went through a fair amount of 2010, which was very good. But we finished with some of the 2009, and that was spectacular. Made Dad promise to save the Pundit for when I'm over next. ;)

2015 was a good year.
Carmel, smoke & vanillaView attachment 33180

Oooh, hey! There's a bottle of wine in that post! :)

Love your beer choices though, Elmer. You have good taste.

I just picked up a bottle of 2014 Predator Zin that I'll open later. Thought I'd read here that it was pretty good (I hope I did).

Edit: Yes, I did. Here it is: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55441&highlight=predator

Edit #2: Nope, not a fan of this one. WAY overoaked. Oak is just about all I can smell and taste. They must be trying to hide something. I tend to like a little more oak than the average bear, though that has been decreasing in recent years. This is over the top, and probably the oakiest wine I've ever tasted. Thinking about opening up something else, actually.

Last edited:
2007 Canoe Ridge Cab Sauv. This was a tannic monster when I got it four years ago. At 9 years it is finally mellowing. Blackberry, cedar wood and spice on the nose. Bright cherry, tobacco on the taste and still sturdy, but integrating tannins. I've been drinking a bottle each year to see how the tannins age, good thing I have 7 more bottles. It did pair well with beef stroganoff from Saturday's prime rib.

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

Opened a SE Valpolicella ( 13 months ) and noticing a nice black pepper note to the sour cherries that wasn't there before, or at least that I didn't notice. Initial burst of flavor is much more than that in the nose. Needs some more age but very drinkable (as an everyday quaff).

I was searching (searching) on a one-way street, I was hoping (hoping) for a chance to meet, I was waiting for the operator on the line

Last edited:
Just cracked a bottle of my 2013 Carmenere made with a juice bucket and lug of grapes. A very pleasant little number that took about 2 years to come around. Sadly, the QA sampling during the aging severely depleted the stock and I'm down to 1 bottle.

Just cracked a bottle of my 2013 Carmenere made with a juice bucket and lug of grapes. A very pleasant little number that took about 2 years to come around. Sadly, the QA sampling during the aging severely depleted the stock and I'm down to 1 bottle.

I salute your type of sampling! I can give you pointers to tipping the carboy without dripping if you'd like...maybe you'd have an extra bottle left?

Oh, almost forgot, gave the AIO some work today, racked four wines, one twice. Have a small glass of this Fall's White Zin sitting beside me. Had put it down, went to attend to laundry, came back and had the wonderful aroma of Strawberries wafting around my computer area. Pretty darn nice for 1) a back sweetened wine and 2) for a wine that is only a little over 3 months old.

Last edited:
Drinking En Primeur Australian Sauvignon Blanc. Super tasty! My hubby and I are really enjoying it, even though I would normally be going for a big red during the colder months.

Drinking En Primeur Australian Sauvignon Blanc. Super tasty! My hubby and I are really enjoying it, even though I would normally be going for a big red during the colder months.

Wish I could get my wife to like a Sauvingon Blanc. For some reason she just can't get past the lemongrass type flavors in the Australian/New Zealand versions, which is something I love.

Strawberry Arbor Mist, what my sister in law likes [emoji51][emoji51]

Latest posts

Back