What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2015 Elouan Pinot Noir

A dark rich crimson color. Scents of blueberry, licorice, and sea stones. Very lively cranberries, with a light peppery tobacco tar essence. Late flare of orange zest as it moves into the pungent finish to complete a terrific balance.

@ibglowin I remember you saying that a good Pinot Noir from Oregon start around $50. This one sits around $20-$22 and is very good. What you would expect from a member of the Wagner family. If you come across it, I highly recommend it.

IMG_20170103_195958.jpg

LOL, Have not tried that one but will keep a look out for it. I am a fan of Belle Glos for sure but I spent 3 days tasting my way through Mcminnville, OR and I will stick to my guns on the price point for a good/very good PN from Oregon. :sm YMMV!

Reaching back into the cellar tonight. My own 2011 "Caballo Muerto" This was my best Bordeaux blend from 2011. ... Very proud of this wine and now down to two bottles left in the cellar..... :(

Well, it's true what they say: You can't beat a dead horse! :)

LOL So that wine was made the year I got grapes from FVW and made 6G of almost every Bordeaux varietal so plenty to play with. It was a blend very much like one that Mary Ryan Winery makes each year that I have had a few bottles of over the years so I cloned it and gave it a slightly different name..... :)

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 7.10.46 AM.png

Well, I am sitting in an airport at Vino Volo sampling a flight of whites. There is a Marlborough Sauv. Blanc that tastes just like a Marlborough Sauv. Blanc, and a Carneros Chard that tastes just like a Carneros Chard. There is also a Picpoul from Languedoc. This is a completely new one by me! The descriptors suggested are "Lemon and sea brine," and darned if they are not correct. It is not that richly flavored, but it is bright and tasty.

Got to taste several commercial Picpoul wines a few years ago while attending one of the NM Vine and Wine conference meetings. Interesting wine, not bad, different for sure. They were looking at planting some in the NM State test vineyard down in Las Cruces IIRC to see how they do in our climate.

A glass of Cline Zinfandel - 2014 - what was left from drinking a bit, topping my Lanza Zin so I could give @jgmann67 a 375 for a trial blend. Definitely some oak to go with all the fruit, but there is a nice balance between the two. More oak than I'd normally like in a Zin, but not over the top, and definitely not harsh, very enjoyable.

Finally got to my bottle of Valpolicella (WE SE Kit from 11-2015). Listening to Rickie Lee Jones. Nice sour cherries up front, has a nice nose from the added Dornfelder skins. Smooth tannins and more cherries in the finish. Pretty much what I expect from a Valpolicella, a nice bright acidity without a major bite, very smooth and drinkable (somewhat one dimensional, but that's okay with me).

For the last 2 nights I enjoyed a bottle of my 2013 Merlot/Cab blend from grapes. Just delicious and just a few bottles left...:(

Tasting a bottle of my 2015 Mosti Mondali Meglioli Amarone, with raisins and a grape pack. It is very tannic, in a good way. I'm looking forward to see how this develops over the next few years.

Tasting a bottle of my 2015 Mosti Mondali Meglioli Amarone, with raisins and a grape pack. It is very tannic, in a good way. I'm looking forward to see how this develops over the next few years.

Glad to hear, mine comes out of the barrel in a week, assuming it's oaked well, it'll get some time to settle down in glass before bottling.

My very first wine!

It's very good! Opened my first bottle, from my first batch, tonight after bottling it two and a half months ago. It may be even more smooth in a couple more months, will be "testing" every two weeks. I've been nervous, but honestly it tastes as good as the Pinot Grigio I have been buying. So relieved and excited to start my next two batches, both Chardonnay. (WE World Vineyard Pinot Grigio, yeast pitched on 9/10/16 and bottled on 10/26/16.)

image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back