What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a vertical of Cab Sauv, mine, to decide what to take to a couple of parties this weekend. 2011, 12 and 13. In the end my tasting department, read wife with 25 years in the business, decided on the 2012 Merlot. Well it did get best of show in the county fair. The 12 Cab was really good with the steak I cooked At least in the wine makers opinion:ib

Started last night with some Sauvignon Blanc Rose, followed by a 2010 Tenuta Del Portale Aglianico del Vulture Riserva, and a 2013 Chataeuneuf du Pape. Thought the CdP would be disappointing at that age, but it was quite good (it was opened about an hour and a half before we dug into it). The Aglianico and Rose are always good.

My 2012 Pistolas de Duelo (Dueling Pistols) A 50/50 blend of Syrah and Zinfandel.

Holy cow has this thing really turned out to be one the the best wines I have ever made. Was not my favorite when bottled but little by little it has risen to the top. The bouquet is intoxicating. When you can't keep your nose out of the glass you know something is right. Then with each sip and as time goes by it just gets better and better. Loads of dark fruits, pepper and spice. Completely balanced, tannins are refined, the finish is long and satisfying, and that oak.....spot on perfect. I think I have 7 bottles left and they are now officially off limits! :)

IMG_1846.jpg

2013 Orin Swift Department 66 (D66) Grenache

Beautiful dark maroon in color. Gravel and dried fruits in the nose. On the palette a very adventurous almost sweet balsamic like flavors without the high acidity and stewed red fruits. Long finish and very well balanced. Remarkable wine.

IMG_20161219_201006.jpg

2013 Orin Swift Department 66 (D66) Grenache

Beautiful dark maroon in color. Gravel and dried fruits in the nose. On the palette a very adventurous almost sweet balsamic like flavors without the high acidity and stewed red fruits. Long finish and very well balanced. Remarkable wine.

IMG_20161219_201006.jpg

Good to hear. I've researched, but not yet bought many of their wines since Dave Phinney left. Gonna have to give a few a try. On a similar note, one of my vendors brought me a bottle of 2015 'Prisoner'. Will have to let it sit for some time, but am looking forward to it.

If you don't mind sharing, what was the price on that bottle?

WS Review. Imported from France.

Good to hear. I've researched, but not yet bought many of their wines since Dave Phinney left. Gonna have to give a few a try. On a similar note, one of my vendors brought me a bottle of 2015 'Prisoner'. Will have to let it sit for some time, but am looking forward to it.

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 7.36.14 PM.png

Hmmm, I picked it up a few weeks ago. It was right around the $40 range. Plus/minus $2. Next time I hit my local wine store, I may grab another bottle for my community wine tasting. I'm pretty sure it was right in that price range.

Interesting that they gave it an 89. I think it's way better than that (definitely in the 90s), but then again. Rating are so subjective.

Looking it up, it seems Wine Advocate gave it a 95. The wine is really good and worth it's price point, but that could be a tad high. As I said. It's so subjective to put a rating on something.

Looks like Cellar Tracker agrees with you. Lots of reviews on the '13 (including yours) pegging it about 2 points higher than WS on average.

Interesting that they gave it an 89. I think it's way better than that (definitely in the 90s), but then again. Rating are so subjective.

Looking it up, it seems Wine Advocate gave it a 95. The wine is really good and worth it's price point, but that could be a tad high. As I said. It's so subjective to put a rating on something.

Feeling decent again after having a cold all week. It's good to be alive! Just cracked a bottle of the CC Grand Estates 2014 Cab. At under 8 bucks, I should have left Total Wine in handcuffs. Needs a little bit of air, but still nice. I got 4 bottles in my last run. I think I'm going to go grab some more and let it age for a year or two.

Our Christmas Eve tradition is our favorite appetizers for dinner then gifts. Of course, a glass/bottle of wine or two magically appears. I usually make an Amarone for Christmas and this year was no exception. Tonight, I decided to do something special and have a vertical tasting of my last 5 Amarones. They included 2011 Mosti Renaissance, 2012 Mosti Renaissance Impressions, 2013 En Premeur, 2014 Showcase and the 2015 Showcase. The winner by consensus was the 2014 Showcase, which was approaching 30 months. Outstanding dark fruit and great balance. The 2015 was a bit young and a bit more tart than I appreciate. The 2013 EP was very tart and oaky. Decent dark fruit but a bit austere for my taste. The Impressions continued to disappoint at every level. Rather generic flavors and a bit of a metallic taste that I find often in Mosti kits. The real surprise was the 2011 Mosti Renaissance. It was really mellow and balanced. Great dark fruit and nice balance of oak. This wine (last bottle) I have had a hard time completing a bottle. It was never impressive and always my least favorite Amarone ever made. At 5 years, however, this is a real winner. Not quite a Meglioli but a decent Amarone. It confirms for me what others have often said - give Mosti kits enough time and they will impress. For me, I will continue with the Showcase Amarone. It is consistently one of the best kits on the market and the results are predictable. I rarely tweak this kit but it is usually one of my favorites.

Tonight, we had a wine that Mike ( @ibglowin ) would approve of. It was a J. Bookwalter offering called "Subplot No. 25." This appears to be a non-vintage wine, but we have been holding on to it since about 2012. 48% Merlot, 33% Cab. Sauv., 5% Syrah, 4% Cab. Franc, 4% Petit Verdot, 4% Malbec, and 2% Barbera. And 100% delicious.

IMG_0046.jpg

Back