What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not had good luck with wrapping ribs. I've tried it a couple pf times and they wind up super tender but tasting more like they were boiled than smoked. I do them at 225 - 250° for about 6 hours and let them rest about 15 minutes before digging in.
Never had that issue when wrapping them. Normally do a full 3 hours of smoke and charcoal before wrapping with some bbq sauce watered down with cider vinegar. I think the idea is to conserve the fat that renders to coat them with when you eat them.

8-26-23_ribs-2.jpg

These are baby backs that were really thick, I think there isn't a lot of rib for the meat to pull back off of, but they are wonderfully tender, spicy with no "boiled" flavor or texture. I ran out of time, but I'd normally put these back on for an hour to crisp them up a bit....

Never had that issue when wrapping them. Normally do a full 3 hours of smoke and charcoal before wrapping with some bbq sauce watered down with cider vinegar. I think the idea is to conserve the fat that renders to coat them with when you eat them.

View attachment 104951

These are baby backs that were really thick, I think there isn't a lot of rib for the meat to pull back off of, but they are wonderfully tender, spicy with no "boiled" flavor or texture. I ran out of time, but I'd normally put these back on for an hour to crisp them up a bit....
great bark - very nice!
i like the St Louis cut - cause of the fat and marbling
my wife prefers the baby backs
but i say - its all about the fat - fat=flavor

Once summer hits, we don't use the oven much, so I haven't made pizza in quite a while.

The sauce? I had a can of stewed tomatoes and a couple of small cans of sauce in the cupboard, so I coarsely chopped the tomatoes, added oregano, basic, salt, & pepper, and sauted for a few minutes. I purchased a salami assortment, which is under the cheese.

pizza.jpg

great bark - very nice!
i like the St Louis cut - cause of the fat and marbling
my wife prefers the baby backs
but i say - its all about the fat - fat=flavor
I normally get the whole rib, no trimming and trim it myself. There was plenty of fat on these and they were thick as could be. They were only about $7 at BJs, so I couldn't resist, I just needed to cook something outside for a change, lol.

Edit: Actually I think I got them at Weis, $2.99/lb.

My Son is on a video call from Okinawa, he's drooling. I think I've got to make some when he visits for a month around Christmas...

I think an explanation is in order here for these very simple dinner plates. Chicken legs generously S&P’d then vacuum sealed and frozen weeks ago. Sous vide with an Anova at 145 for 3 hours outside the RV then thrown on a tiny charcoal grill to finish and crisp. Rice simmered over the grill about 15 mins with the broccoli on top all while drinking an undisclosed number of ice cold beers. Spaghetti and homemade French bread tonight, life’s tough!
IMG_1023.jpeg

Both kids away at football games tonight. We decided to have a good meal in their absence. :) Filets slow cooked at 250 on the SmokeFire until about 110 internal, then I took them off and got the grill up to about 550 and seared to finish.

tempImage62RZKB.jpg

tempImage7MfVlS.jpg

Pork shoulder in the crock pot. 6 lb roast is a lot of meat for 2 people.

pork-1.jpg

I clean and shred it, makes a big pile:

pork-2.jpg

Tonight we enjoyed it with BBQ sauce. Tomorrow is pork enchiladas. Sunday or Tuesday we'll find something else to do with the remainder. Plus lunches -- I make enchiladas for 4 ... even through there's 2 of us. Gotta have lunches!

Back