What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My grandson and his squeeze are coming down from Cleveland this evening. She has to take some kind of law exam tomorrow (she is going into her last year of law at Case-Western) and they will be staying overnight with us. I made these two pizzas using the "kit" that Costco sells as a base. I "doctored" them with my own mozzarella, pepperoni, sausage, parmesan and mushrooms. If the pizza on the right looks less doctored, it is. My bride, in additional to not tolerating me all that well, is lactose-intolerant and we need to keep the cheese to a minimum, so I skipped the parmesan and the mushrooms on that one. (She also is not a big fan of 'shrooms!)

Just need to pop them into the oven for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees F and chow down.

100_2075.JPG

I mighta had too much to drink last night. I can't remember. 😜

Left over ham and scallops were the perfect effort after working in the yard all day. BUT THIS.... THIS!

Tomatoes are slow this year, but worth waiting for. How these simple ingredients can absolutely sing together never ceases to amaze me. I wait all year for this.

Don't know the name, but they are a deep red inside with almost purple skin.

PXL_20230821_013212471.jpg

No rain in the forecast for the next couple of days, so prepping some salmon for smoking tomorrow (rubbed and in fridge), a hunk of bottom round for dinner tomorrow (rubbed w/pastrami rub in fridge) and some ribs on the grill for tonight. Also watching Aaron Franklin's Masterclass on ribs so I can see what I'm doing wrong, lol (thanks Mike!).

8-26-23_ribs.jpg

About to wrap the ribs for a couple of hours...

No rain in the forecast for the next couple of days, so prepping some salmon for smoking tomorrow (rubbed and in fridge), a hunk of bottom round for dinner tomorrow (rubbed w/pastrami rub in fridge) and some ribs on the grill for tonight. Also watching Aaron Franklin's Masterclass on ribs so I can see what I'm doing wrong, lol (thanks Mike!).

View attachment 104942

About to wrap the ribs for a couple of hours...
I have not had good luck with wrapping ribs. I've tried it a couple pf times and they wind up super tender but tasting more like they were boiled than smoked. I do them at 225 - 250° for about 6 hours and let them rest about 15 minutes before digging in.

thats on my bucket list to go to Aaron Franklins BBQ - get in line at 4 am - join the block party
i follow his smoking style - 2 others i follow are How to BBQ right (Maclcom Reed) and Slap yo Daddy BBQ(Harry Soo)
and when i want to get into the science of smoking - Mad Scientist BBQ(Jeremy Yoder)
smoking is like making wine - it takes a while to perfect it -

You tried the 3-2-1 method? The (1) is a critical step in the process.

I have not had good luck with wrapping ribs. I've tried it a couple pf times and they wind up super tender but tasting more like they were boiled than smoked. I do them at 225 - 250° for about 6 hours and let them rest about 15 minutes before digging in.

thats on my bucket list to go to Aaron Franklins BBQ - get in line at 4 am - join the block party
i follow his smoking style - 2 others i follow are How to BBQ right (Maclcom Reed) and Slap yo Daddy BBQ(Harry Soo)
and when i want to get into the science of smoking - Mad Scientist BBQ(Jeremy Yoder)
smoking is like making wine - it takes a while to perfect it -

You can actually (if you time things right) preorder online now and just pick it up with little to no wait.

Latest posts

Back