What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you did it. A buddy calls me "Double Fries" because that's what I always order. And homemade fries with homemade catsup is darn close to heaven.
Allow me to up the stakes for you. We are having an epic potato year, so the potatoes were fresh out of the ground. Sliced and dropped in ice water for 20 minutes. Par boiled (first time I have tried it) with a splash of vinegar, and just cooked to tender. Then doubled fried. First fry just to get a light crisp on them. Let them drain and cool. I made the burgers, then dropped them back in for a couple minutes to crisp them up.

The perfect french fry. Crispy outside, poofy centers.

I made a new rule. If I am pulling out the fryer, We need to make a couple of dishes so it doesn't seem like such an effort. So the big fish fry is coming up, and I might try ginger beef tonight. I always make it in the wok.

Allow me to up the stakes for you. We are having an epic potato year, so the potatoes were fresh out of the ground. Sliced and dropped in ice water for 20 minutes. Par boiled (first time I have tried it) with a splash of vinegar, and just cooked to tender. Then doubled fried. First fry just to get a light crisp on them. Let them drain and cool. I made the burgers, then dropped them back in for a couple minutes to crisp them up.

The perfect french fry. Crispy outside, poofy centers.

I made a new rule. If I am pulling out the fryer, We need to make a couple of dishes so it doesn't seem like such an effort. So the big fish fry is coming up, and I might try ginger beef tonight. I always make it in the wok.
Your cooking always amazes me (and make me drool like Pavlov's dog) and the double fry absolutely kicks it up a notch.

A couple years ago my brother rendered goose fat (stunk up the house) and made french fries. "Wow" was pathetically inadequate.

Made hamburgers tonight outta lazieness. Didn’t have buns on hand so I found a quickie recipe on line, whipped up a couple of them and now have a new go to.
topped with a tomato, pickle and onion relish and some cheddar, nothing else needed.

Somehow I am thinking that if it is lazy to make burgers, that is somewhat undermined by whipping up buns from scratch? :?

:)

Your cooking always amazes me (and make me drool like Pavlov's dog) and the double fry absolutely kicks it up a notch.

A couple years ago my brother rendered goose fat (stunk up the house) and made french fries. "Wow" was pathetically inadequate.
The feeling is mutual. I would certainly trade dinner for an opportunity to sample your wines. It's just that pesky drive that gets in the way.

I can only assume that all fries since have been at best, a close second.

The feeling is mutual. I would certainly trade dinner for an opportunity to sample your wines. It's just that pesky drive that gets in the way.

I can only assume that all fries since have been at best, a close second.
It would have to be a multi-day event. My wine smorgasbord would would have you under the table. The dessert wines especially.

And on a potato note, a couple times a year I have to make my own potato chips. It's amazing how something as simple as the potato can be so good so many different ways.

It would have to be a multi-day event. My wine smorgasbord would would have you under the table. The dessert wines especially.
I agree. I panic when I have to choose one dish to make.

It's amazing how something as simple as the potato can be so good so many different ways.

And how making it at home transforms what you get at the store into so much more!

Latest posts

Back