What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rigatoni with a bolognese sauce half beef and half ground pork, smoked ribs for 4.5 hours, sauted swish chard and new zealand spinach from garden with garlic and cayenne peppers with thyme and oregano, corn ribs with chipotle sauce and some naan bread and of course some of my 2019 zin blend to wash it all down

IMG_2823.jpg
IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg
IMG_2824.jpg

I've never smoked a brisket -- we always do it in the crockpot. Mrs. WM81 requested smoked brisket for today, so it's in the smoker.

Since the top rack is open, at the last minute I defrosted a couple packages of chicken legs, hit them with seasoned salt, and they're in there, too.

Mrs. WM81 asked what we're going to do with all this meat? My answer was, "not cook anything new until Friday ...." :)

Elder son is coming for dinner, so he'll cheerfully take some leftovers home.

Oh, the cubes are expended cubes from the winery. Only the finest Hungarian oak for my smoker! (well, today, anyway).

brisket.jpg

When bottling a batch, I rinse the cubes and dry on the counter on paper towels for a week or so, then bag 'em.

made a steak(rib eye) sandwich with cheese sautéed mushrooms, onions and garlic on a fresh Portuguese bun with mac salad on the side
i like spicy food - always grow hot peppers, chiles , jalapeño, hot banana, and habanero
don't know what happened with the habanero this year but they are out of this world hot
put some on the sandwich - mouth is still burning - dam those are spicy!!
my bucket list is to try the Carolina reaper

IMG_2836.jpg

Last week I picked up a couple of hot plates. Yesterday I broke them out and tried to copy a local thai curry hot plate. Decent, but I am surprised how much flavor you have to throw at them. I think a little sugar goes a long way to caramelize things and bring out the flavor.

Recipes are few and far between from what I have found so far. Tonight I tried an asian black pepper beef dish. Good if you love pepper! And I do.

PXL_20230907_012707837.jpg

Served with a vegetable stir fry and last night's rice. Further study is required!

Meaning... More pictures to come!
PXL_20230907_012703001.jpg

Mrs. WM81 asked what we're going to do with all this meat? My answer was, "not cook anything new until Friday ...."
A follow-up to the smoked brisket -- we finished the brisket last night and chicken will be today's lunch. A fair amount went home with our son.

This came out great -- it will happen again. Doing brisket on the bottom rack and chicken on the top is a real winner!

For once in quite a while (going on 3 weeks) we had a chance of rain today. In that three weeks the lawn went from lush for August to normal brown on top of a hard packed soil. Today we got 1.13" of rain in 103 minutes (my brother a mile away has a tempest weather station I can access on the net).

So I figured grilling outside would be futile, so had some ground chicken thigh meat that I slow cooked for some chicken chili. Might have added a bit too much NM chimayo chili powder and smoked chipotle powder, but that just secures the leftovers for me tomorrow. On that note I also threw in a beer since my son wouldn't be eating it (he needs to follow a GF diet).

Served on top of some beef hot dogs, simple meal, but my head is still sweating, lol. Yum!

9-7-23_chili-dogs.jpg

went back to my roots - traditional Neapolitian pasta and potatoes - in a cream cause, buffalo mozzarella, pecorino cheese - sauted carrots, celery with rosemary
with a prosciutto and melon salad, crushed basil, olive oil, lemon juice and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar dressing
sheet pan with sausages, potatoes, herbs and veggies
looking out to a beautiful sunset

IMG_2845.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2843.jpg
IMG_2838.jpg
IMG_0522.jpeg

Yesterday and the day before, with so much football in the air, I had to celebrate and practice making some fall type food, snausage! I was toying with a german sausage recipe that @ibglowin uses, but decided on a English banger recipe. Let hang out in the fridge uncovered for a day to dry up, then took 5 of them and poached, then baked to brown in the oven for tonight's dinner. Served with some smashed taters, butter infused petite peas and lot's of GF brown gravy. Yum!

9-11-23_bangers-1.jpg

9-11-23_bangers-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back