What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUICK SAUCE!!!!

Want the best red sauce ever, but don't have a lot of time?

I make this quick sauce in about 20 minutes and it tastes AMAZING! The trick is to use only certified San Marzano tomatoes.

Ingredients:

qs2.jpeg

1 can of certified, imported whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes
¼ cup of water
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic (chopped fine)
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
2 tbsp dried basil (or 4 tbsp chopped fresh basil)
1 small can of tomato paste
2 tsp sugar

Directions
Heat a sauce pan on medium setting. Add olive oil, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Gently sautee for about a minute, then add the plum tomatoes. Be careful to not burn the garlic. Add water to the tomato can (to rinse), then add water to the sauce.

Using a potato masher, thoroughly mash the tomatoes into small chunks.

qs3.jpegqs4.jpeg

Add basil and sugar. Stir the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir to incorporate.

Tip: When adding tomato paste, I like to open both top and bottom of the can. Using a finger, I push against the lid of the can, then I remove the lids before stirring. This does a great job on getting all of the paste out of the can.

qs5.jpeg

Simmer for 10 minutes (while you cook your pasta). You know when the sauce is done when you experience a heavenly aroma.

I prefer to serve this over some high-quality fresh pasta (ravioli or tortellini), but this sauce tastes great over penne or rigatoni. I also like to add a dollop of ricotta cheese. The cool, creamy taste of the cheese works great with this powerful, savory sauce.
qs1.jpeg

That's almost exactly how I make my sauce, except I use 1 small/med diced onion as well. San Marzano are completely worth the extra cost.

Very similar to what I do, also, with the following exceptions:

1. I add a large carrot, finely chopped instead of sugar.
2. I add a large red Bell pepper, finely chopped.
3. I add red wine (amount dictated by the batch size).
4. I simmer for about an hour.

Be careful when purchasing "San Marzano" tomatoes. As John notes, look for "certified" on the can. There are many brands with "weasel words" like San Marzano "style" tomatoes. They have to be imported from Italy. Cento is my favorite brand.

QUICK SAUCE!!!!

I make this quick sauce in about 20 minutes and it tastes AMAZING! The trick is to use only certified San Marzano tomatoes.

Ingredients:

View attachment 86415

¼ cup of water
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp sugar

Directions
Heat a sauce pan on medium setting. Add olive oil, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Gently sautee for about a minute, then add the plum tomatoes. Be careful to not burn the garlic. Add water to the tomato can (to rinse), then add water to the sauce.

View attachment 86414View attachment 86413

Add basil and sugar. Stir the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir to incorporate.

Tip: When adding tomato paste, I like to open both top and bottom of the can. Using a finger, I push against the lid of the can, then I remove the lids before stirring. This does a great job on getting all of the paste out of the can.

View attachment 86412

Simmer for 10 minutes (while you cook your pasta). You know when the sauce is done when you experience a heavenly aroma.

I prefer to serve this over some high-quality fresh pasta (ravioli or tortellini), but this sauce tastes great over penne or rigatoni. I also like to add a dollop of ricotta cheese. The cool, creamy taste of the cheese works great with this powerful, savory sauce.
View attachment 86416
only tomatoes to use for sauce - try a deep pan instead of a pot - different taste

@JohnT , you made me hungry. Whipped up a batch of sauce using his recipe he posted earlier in this thread (pretty much like mine), just added a dash of red wine and a dash of Cento Italian seasoning. Used it for a half vege/half ground chicken lasagna. Pizza substitute since it's gonna rain around here on Sunday and I'm itching to do an outdoor cook at higher heat (than the indoor oven) to test out the 00 flour properties when cooking on a hotter stone.

4-1-22_lasagna.jpg

Yum!

After a normally scheduled men's early breakfast, headed to Hanover for a Lowe's stop then on to the Giant to look for some "deals". Found some catfish pretty cheap ($4 for two large fillets) so made me and my son some fried catfish. GF bread crumbs didn't stay stuck real well (forgot the egg in the buttermilk wash) but it still tasted good!

4-2-22_catfish.jpg

Really nice, seasonal day for a change. Low 50's, wind died down, nice blue skies, warm April sun, no complaints. I put a ~6 lb young chicken on the Weber bullet smoker. Figured about 2 hours, added the inkbird for internal temp, got the charcoal going, set and forget, right? Got involved in my taxes at the kitchen table (10 forms in all, have 2 kids that work and they don't seem to have "time" to do their taxes). Looked up at the clock and it should have been dinner time, or at least time to take it off for a rest from the smoker. Internal temperature was only 124, yikes! Moved the chicken into the convection oven and set at 375. Got done and resting, doing some taters and we'll have a salad.

I don't think I've been cooking outdoors enough, lost my touch! Used some apple wood for flavor.

4-2-22_smoked-chicken.jpg

QUICK SAUCE!!!!

Ingredients:

View attachment 86415

¼ cup of water
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp sugar

Directions

View attachment 86414View attachment 86413

View attachment 86412

View attachment 86416
I have 15 San Marzano Tomato plants in the garden and I'm definitely going to give this recipe a try. Looks Awesome

I have no idea what this is... And that is why I am going to make it. I'll make yours if you want to share a recipe, otherwise I will search for a recipe with flavors I like. Looks good though, excited to try it.

I don’t know how to make it but this article has some info, the stew is delicious.

https://www.dominicancooking.com/125/sancocho

Latest posts

Back