What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUICK SAUCE!!!!

Want the best red sauce ever, but don't have a lot of time?

I make this quick sauce in about 20 minutes and it tastes AMAZING! The trick is to use only certified San Marzano tomatoes.

Ingredients:

View attachment 86415

1 can of certified, imported whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes
¼ cup of water
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic (chopped fine)
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
2 tbsp dried basil (or 4 tbsp chopped fresh basil)
1 small can of tomato paste
2 tsp sugar

Directions
Heat a sauce pan on medium setting. Add olive oil, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Gently sautee for about a minute, then add the plum tomatoes. Be careful to not burn the garlic. Add water to the tomato can (to rinse), then add water to the sauce.

Using a potato masher, thoroughly mash the tomatoes into small chunks.

View attachment 86414View attachment 86413

Add basil and sugar. Stir the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir to incorporate.

Tip: When adding tomato paste, I like to open both top and bottom of the can. Using a finger, I push against the lid of the can, then I remove the lids before stirring. This does a great job on getting all of the paste out of the can.

View attachment 86412

Simmer for 10 minutes (while you cook your pasta). You know when the sauce is done when you experience a heavenly aroma.

I prefer to serve this over some high-quality fresh pasta (ravioli or tortellini), but this sauce tastes great over penne or rigatoni. I also like to add a dollop of ricotta cheese. The cool, creamy taste of the cheese works great with this powerful, savory sauce.
View attachment 86416
Wow that’s extremely similar, almost exact to the recipe I use for sauce. I didn’t have san marzano growing in the garden, I might try to source some seed this fall. But with the tomato mill, it takes out all the skin and seeds. The juice from my tomatoes replaced the water you added. You are right it is extremely easy and delicious.

Seed. Tomatoes are one of the easiest plants to start from seed. I'm not paying $5 for one plant at Lowes/HD
Next question, where did you get the seeds.

it’s amazing how Lowes expects people to buy one tomato plant for $5.
years ago up in the frozen wilderness of NY you could get a six pack of tomato plants for $1.50. I start pretty much everything from seed Here.
my tomatoes are done for the season here. Peanuts are in already for summer. Maybe some Okra.

Next question, where did you get the seeds.

it’s amazing how Lowes expects people to buy one tomato plant for $5.
years ago up in the frozen wilderness of NY you could get a six pack of tomato plants for $1.50. I start pretty much everything from seed Here.
my tomatoes are done for the season here. Peanuts are in already for summer. Maybe some Okra.
I buy from a lot of different companies, just because I like to try a lot of the things you dont commonly see. Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company is one of my favorites.

My spring planting is still in progress. I have 6 trays of peppers to get out yet, 216 plants. All started indoors. I make a lot of fermented pepper sauces for the farmers market. They tolerate our summer heat.

I have a lot of peanuts growing too, problem is they are randomly planted all over the place. My Fox Squirrels are quite the peanut farmers.

IMG_2420.JPG

These guys are very dependable and have great customer service if you run into problems... Can be a little pricey, but most of them are now.

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetab...o-seed-3405G.html?cgid=paste-tomatoes#start=1
I like their marketing hype calling it a San Marzano II variety. There is only one San Marzano variety because it breeds true by open air polination and the USDA seed is what was used to develop the Roma tomato in 1955 (which is not an Italian tomato at all, it was hybridized in the US to be a green pick determinate plant). If it is an improved variety then it's a genetic cross and not a true San Marzano.

I like their marketing hype calling it a San Marzano II variety. There is only one San Marzano variety because it breeds true by open air polination and the USDA seed is what was used to develop the Roma tomato in 1955 (which is not an Italian tomato at all, it was hybridized in the US to be a green pick determinate plant). If it is an improved variety then it's a genetic cross and not a true San Marzano.
Well, I've grown it and it tastes and processes great.

I don’t know how to make it but this article has some info, the stew is delicious.

https://www.dominicancooking.com/125/sancocho

Holy smokes. That is way different from the recipe I found on a quick search to get an idea what it is.

Take a little meat, add meat, plus a touch of meat. Then add in some herbs, spices, a little seasoning, and then add in more meat, bone in meat, additional bone for extra flavor, and finish with ground meat. Add some vegetables for character, simmer and serve.

No wonder it's good.

The recipe I found was involved. Lots of vegetable, but not so many different meats. I might have to try something in the middle, but now I'm even more interested.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/257186/puerto-rican-sancocho/

Last edited:
Back in the saddle. Tonight we had a 1.75" thick pork rib chop, which I seared, then finished in a cream/stock sauce with mushrooms, garlic, and thyme. DW made a puree of broccoli and spinach (lemon zest, nutmeg, etc.); green beans with Cambazola; roasted fennel; roasted eggplant with EVOO and Italian herbs.

IMG_3356.JPG
IMG_3357.JPG

Latest posts

Back