What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last nights "farewell to the weekend" dinner. Marinated Tri Tip served on a bed of Arugula with Pomegranate vinaigrette and bleu cheese crumbles. Tomatoes were from the garden. I did not get my phone from Fred Flintstone! LOL

IMG_1308.jpg

That almost looks like chicken curry. Wonder if the kids would try that...Did you use a curry mix or make up your own blend?

I do my own mix of indian spices. And I give it a bit of Thai inspiration with some coconut milk and peanut butter in the sauce.

We went to the park tonight to make a bbq. Brother prepared everything (hes a student, so hes got time on his hands). Here he is eating with my son. Homemade kebobs

ImageUploadedByWine Making1469472280.518377.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1469472358.604924.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Angus ribeye rubbed down with olive oil, S&P and fresh minced garlic. Then a rosemary sprig on top/bottom and into the Sous Vide for about 2 hours at 124F. Finished on the grill with a kiss of cedar. Also had some linguine sautéed with EVOO, fresh garlic, oregano and parmesan. Topped it all off with asparagus 'sushi'. 4-5 sprigs wrapped up in provolone and prosciutto, then grill roasted to finish.

IMG_4059.jpg

Dang I like Monday night dinner at your house! :db

Only thing is....... Cedar.......:?:?:?:?:?:?

Great for fireplaces would not use it for the grill too much resin

Cedar plank salmon OK as it is usually cooked wet and fast so it won't burn and release resin.

Dang I like Monday night dinner at your house! :db

Only thing is....... Cedar.......:?:?:?:?:?:?

Great for fireplaces would not use it for the grill too much resin

Cedar plank salmon OK as it is usually cooked wet and fast so it won't burn and release resin.

It was a used piece left from the last time I did salmon. :h And after the sous vide, steaks were only on for about 3 minutes.

Kids going every which direction tonight, some going to church to pack the vehicles for a trip tomorrow (IMPACT, teenagers camp and praise God, without too many parents bugging them) through Sunday, others with a sleep over, etc, etc. So threw some chicken thighs in the crock pot and did a pulled pork simulation (kids actually can't tell the difference, I can since I don't have to take a Zantac afterwards to fight off the "fat reflux" that occurs around midnight). Deep fried some rough cut 'taters to make up for the lack of fat, though I used Canola oil (two diabetics, gotta watch the fats).

Have plenty of chicken and some fries left for breakfast tomorrow. So much for the diet. The "sauce" is a buffalo wing sauce, not cheese.

Edit: That sandwich was excellent. Just don't think the Pinot Grigio did it justice. Oh, and smoked it with hickory prior to adding to the crock pot.

7-26-16_pulled-chicken.jpg

Last edited:
I'm intrigued, Craig. You smoked it, then put it in the crock pot?

Looks good. What's the green stuff in your sauce? Fries look perfect. Nicely done.

I'm intrigued, Craig. You smoked it, then put it in the crock pot?

Looks good. What's the green stuff in your sauce? Fries look perfect. Nicely done.

I take a foil packet with some hickory added and put it in the corner of the Weber "B" (with some fork holes in it). Get the grill up to about 450*F and smoking a bit, then turn the middle burner off and line up the boneless thighs in the middle. Keep covered for about 5-8 minutes, turn them once, might add some salt and pepper, then go another 3 or 4 minutes. The aim isn't to cook them but to add some "grilled" flavor, which includes the smoke and some goodies from the grates. Then I put into a container that I can float in the sink with some ice water to cool quickly. Refrigerate it overnight, then add it with some water/cider vinegar/diced onions to a crockpot I put on high while I'm doing the morning shower. When I leave for work it goes on low and hangs out all day. The kids really have to ask whether it is chicken or pork, it has the same consistency, just a lot less fat.

The green stuff is some dill pickle relish, which I relish but the rest of the family doesn't (same idea as the canned mushrooms, don't understand their logic)(they like the sweet relish, yuckers). The wing sauce is Sweet Baby Rays, which is gluten free so my son can enjoy it too.

Same restaurant as last night ( kids r away!). Tonight we have $1.00 oysters! Cotuit Bay, Ma buttery delicious , Daisy Bay PEI taste of ocean and Cortes Island BC
off the charts good paired with a Chardonnay sorry did not get brand.

Steve

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, All of the sudden the tomatoes went crazy this week. 5 pounds picked on Tuesday alone and probably another pound or more out there today. This recipe is how you get rid of a LOT of cherry tomatoes in one fell swoop! :db

That's my kinda eating, right there.

LOL, All of the sudden the tomatoes went crazy this week. 5 pounds picked on Tuesday alone and probably another pound or more out there today. This recipe is how you get rid of a LOT of cherry tomatoes in one fell swoop! :db
I know what you are talking about! They are ripening in a big way, going to be eating tomatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Steve

Yep! LOL

Its actually low in fat! Just tomatoes (~1.5lbs), 2TBS EVOO, 1tsp red pepper flakes, garlic, S&P, capers, lemon juice, lemon zest, cup o white wine, cup o clam juice and cook down add the seafood of your liking, I used chopped clams, scallops, and mussels. Serve over pasta with some chopped parsley at the end. No butter, no cream. :db

Dammmm, I like what I see....:HB:HB
I love seafood..!!!! Any left overs??:(

Wow, all that seafood made me hungry. Couldn't match the high end ingredients you were using, but with the older two away and my wife working 2nd shift, I gave the two younger ones their choice of dinner tonight. Both went for lobster tail until I told them they'd be eating PB&J's for every meal for the next week, so the youngest went for a "grilled" chicken nugget, the boy went for a fried fish sandwich with some "chips". He chose brussel sprouts as his vegetable (he loves them with some parmesean).

Just some ordinary cod in some gluten free products, it was quite tasty. And there is enough we can both have it for lunch tomorrow, and probably the next day too!.

7-28-2016_fish-n-chips.jpg

Latest posts

Back