What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you done this too?

Just got back from vacation. One night we were eating in Boston's Little Italy and I had one of the best dishes ever! It was a brazed short rib in a beefy red sauce. I said to my wife "I am so going to make this at home".

Well, Sunday I made good on my promise. I browned the boneless short ribs (seasoned with sale and pepper) in olive oil until VERY brown. I then removed the meat, drained the fat, added some diced onion, diced red bell peppers, chopped garlic, and some tomato paste. I stirred until the paste browned a bit. I then added a shot of red wine, a quart of canned crushed tomatoes, and some fresh basil, fresh thyme, fresh parsley, and just a little bit of fresh rosemary. I added the meat back into the pot and brought back to the boil. I then placed in an oven at 275 for 5.5 hours.

OMG!!! This is one of the very best things I ever made. I nailed it the first time.

Here are pictures of the version I had in Boston (served with mashed potatoes) and my version (served with ziti).

IMG_20160802_193202_077.jpg

IMG_20160807_175530_628.jpg

JohnT, The pasta looks great! LOL. No really nice looking dish. Wish I knew you were coming to Boston, I'm only 7 miles north of the city. Bakervinyard

@JohnT , that really looks like a rich dish. I gained 5 lbs just looking at the picture! Wish I could get all of the kids to eat cooked peppers. They love them raw but only two of them fancy them cooked. Puts handcuffs on my cooking style.

@JohnT: You ate mashed potatoes at a restaurant in Little Italy!!!??? :sh

I can't believe they were even on the menu. :)

I went for a run after work with a 100+ degree heat index. Didn't die, so that's good. Despite the heat today, I was craving comfort food for dinner (maybe because I had salad for lunch). NY Strip steak soaked at 124 degrees for 2.5 hours in the SV. Finished over charcoal. Green beans sautéed with butter, EVOO, garlic and shallot. Sautéed shrooms done in the bean pan with added butter/garlic. Red wine reduction to bring it all together. Overcooked the beans, but otherwise a rather enjoyable meal.

IMG_4152.jpg

$1.00 oyster night at local restaurant started off with a mix of Cotuit which are from east coast and big cove from left side. I prefer the east aka right. Started them of log with an Albariño Altos de Torona all I can say is fantastic. Next was the rare seared tuna tacos paired with Down by Law Chardonnay my favorite.
Finally finishe off with a few more of the Cotuit and a snifter of Bulleit Bourbon. What a way to spend a Wednesday night!
Ok that was taken in landscape mode.

image.jpg

Normally Friday is pizza day, and it was for the other five members of the tribe. But after about 20 Fridays in a row, Dad gets sick of pizza.

Local Giant had some frozen shrimp on sale. Knew I had other ingredients that needed to be used up, so cooked up a batch of Tyler Florence shrimp scampi on linguine. Recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of dry white wine, so I opened a bottle of Chardonel that was in waiting in the fridge, boy the kitchen smelled good! On tasting could have used some more garlic, six cloves fell a little short. Might have to deal with some vampires tonight so I'll have to keep the windows closed.

Served it with the Chardonel, of course.

8-19-16_shrimp-scampi.jpg

About to take two 8+ pound beer can chickens off the WSM. Will pull them up for some tacos tonight, save a little for snacking/meals over the next few days and freeze the rest for our beach trip in a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back