What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a preplanned trip out to visit the West coast branch of the family. After the passing of my Father we decided it would be a good decompression weekend before going back to work next week. The SIL "inherited" the family season tickets to the Hollywood Bowl Summer Concert Series. They have box seats for 4 and we went last night to see Boy George and the Culture Club backed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. Talk about an amazing "dinner and a show". We ordered 2 box dinners and they let you bring in your own food and wine. One seafood dinner for 2 and one BBQ dinner for 2 and we shared family style. Very enjoyable evening and the temperature was perfect 70 degrees. More pics later.

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

Ok, NOW I'm on vacation. Arrived in the Outer Banks today. Crab cake sandwich for lunch before we checked into the house. And tonight was my friend's night to cook. Flank steak with a fantastic rub, corn on the cob, and baked taters. We started pre-cook by the pool with a couple beers. Over dinner, started with my 2nd to last bottle of 2013 Red Mountain Cab, then into some J. Lohr 2013 Cab. Vacay is off to a pretty good start!

Someone on here has said before, and I quote, "pictures or it didn't happen". LOL

If no food pictures, pool or ocean pictures will do so some of us who couldn't take a vacation this summer can live vicariously through you.

Went to an Pie n' Burger the other day for lunch in Pasadena, CA. Old school diner that opened back in ~1960 and still looks like it on in the inside. Great burgers and fries and fountain cokes. Did not leave room for any pie sadly. If you come, leave your credit card behind as they only take cash or checks!

TE0101_3-All-American-cheeseburger_s4x3.jpg

Last edited:
Wifey has class, so after our 5:15 am goodbyes, I don't see her again until tomorrow morning, unless I wake up after she gets home from class. So I pickup and drop off the girls (cheerleading and field hockey) at various times during the evening. Noticed I had about 1 1/2 time slot without runs, so I bought some ground lamb on sale at the Giant and went to work. Spiced up the lamb to let it sit, made a batch of tzatziki sauce and then ran my daughter to cheerleading. Came back, formed the burgers and cooked two on the grill (indirect, lots o fat), one for tonight and one for lunch tomorrow. Yum, and the sauce will only get better by tomorrow.

9-1-16_lamb-burger.jpg

Big seafood boil last night. Shrimp, clams, mussels, andouille, corn and baby reds. Since we were going to be starved for seafood, we made up a bunch of steamed spiced shrimp to snack on while we mixed up margaritas from scratch. No pics, but it did happen.

Pizza night was moved a night because my handler had to do concessions for opening night of football at the high school (better her than me).

Normal pizzas were made, but I grilled number three; diced green tomatoes, red tomatoes, red onions, diced garlic, smoked ham, some bacon (turkey in nature), and a home made sauce, with some added oregano and marjoram. Nice pizza and went well with a few Lord Chesterfield Ales (Yuengling).

MIL tomorrow and London Broil on Monday.

9-03-16_pizza.jpg

How will you be preparing your MIL? :)
Medium rare. I'll admit she is a rare find. Some get married and have to deal with a PIA MIL later. Mine is getting better the longer I'm married, not many can say that from what I hear.

I'd recommend tenderizing your MIL before grilling. They can be tough if you don't get the right cut. :db

She's truly fillet mignon. My wife doen't read this forum that I know of, so I have nothing to gain by painting her as any better than she really is.

I called her the other night to see what she was having (planning todays meal for the GF kid and the other diabetic) and I was on the phone for 73 minutes. If I didn't like her it would have been 7.3 minutes tops!

Back