What wine problems can be corrected by aging the wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormanfarm

Reaction score
So far, I have read on this website that aging the wine can take care of several problems:
1. You don't have to sweeten as much if you age the wine
2. improves taste
3. wine naturally degasses itself in about a year
4. High acid levels are reduced by aging in cold temp.

What other wine issues is helped by aging?

Poor, sorry but I tend to look at aging differently. The greatest impact of aging on wine relates to the unique chemical changes that occur. Over time, chemical compounds in wine react to climatic and other influences to metamorphose (I think that's the word.) the wine into something much different in taste, look, and smell than what it was before. Sometimes these changes are good, others bad. And sometimes they're only good for a while, which is why a wine may be excellent in two years and not as good a year later.
Tony P.

the body and structure and aging

:u The body and structure of the wine will detect ate the amount of changes the wine will take either way good or bad,,for example a wine with a very thin body will not improve (when aged) as much as a wine with med. body that is to say if it had good structure to start with it has a chance to mature,balance is the key to in a wines make up,most wine flaws will not dissipate if left by them selves that is were we come in to understand the different chemical components of the wine and how to adjust them,good sanitation is a cridicual compomnent in the overall make up,but if the wine in the very beginning is out of the box or bucket or raw product isn't of decent quality the rest is left (for the most part )to chance and luck.:slp this hobbie were in is a constant learning curve.:sm

I have opened a bottle of a 24 month old batch and was disappointed. Four months later that same batch was excellent and continues to be, now that it's about 36 months old!

The aging process is amazing. It can change the taste significantly and in many very special ways. If you just can't wait, drink some sooner, but always put at least a portion of the batch aside for aging. You will be pleasantly rewarded, even with the whites.

Sorry, but I really don't believe this one. Probably true in a barrel (which I have never tried), a possibility in a carboy with an air lock at the right temperature, unlikely in a bottle.

Steve

Definitely not in a bottle. I've had wines degas completely in a carboy over a year's time, but I've opened several-year-old bottles of wine that I had bottled without fully degassing and they still had a bit of fizz.

In other words, wine making is not an "exact science" (ie., in wine making 2 +2 does not always equal 4)

Sorry, but I really don't believe this one. Probably true in a barrel (which I have never tried), a possibility in a carboy with an air lock at the right temperature, unlikely in a bottle.

Steve

Steve, I agree completely with your main point, but not the other. The gas extracted when degassing is CO2 and it can't just go away. It either stays in the bottle as gas, or reacts with the wine producing off flavors.

On the carboy side, we've all had wine that degassed by itself while in the carboy (under airlock) at a sufficient temperature. This usually takes 2 or more weeks, though, not a year.

Tony P.

Steve, I agree completely with your main point, but not the other. The gas extracted when degassing is CO2 and it can't just go away. It either stays in the bottle as gas, or reacts with the wine producing off flavors.

On the carboy side, we've all had wine that degassed by itself while in the carboy (under airlock) at a sufficient temperature. This usually takes 2 or more weeks, though, not a year.

Tony P.

I read comments like this all the time, about kit wine degassing all by itself in a carboy, if it has an air lock installed.

I don't doubt your own personal experience, but I have been making wine a for a good time now and have never had one of my wines completely degas itself in a carboy with an air lock. Maybe it is because my storage area is always less than 64F.

If no specific degassing action is taken, my experience is that wine can set there for 18 months and still be gassy. In m case several of my wines have stayed in the carboy 18 months.

Degassing used to be a major problem until I got a vacuum pump for racking and degassing. It is not even a second thought anymore. But if I didn't specifically degas with the pump and do at least one splash rack, I don't think it would self-degas in even 24 months in the carboy.

Now this is more of an issue with kit wines, than non-kit reds, which get pressed after primary fermentation.

Temperature does play an important part in degassing. The cooler it is, the harder it is to get the gas out.

Tony P.
Sorry Tony, but I don't think that I have. But I'm a kit wine maker. As Robie pointed out that makes a difference over wines from grapes, but I don't think it should over fresh juice pails.

Steve

Thought I would add to this. The last time I racked my peach wine that had been aging in 1 gallon carboys. I noticed one carboy out of the 5 that the was still showing activity in the carboy and bubbles along the top.

What happened is the time before I had topped off the last bottle of peach wine with peach/white grape skeeter pee. The label on that bottle indicated that I had topped off with the skeeter pee! That 750ml of skeeter pee was over a year old too.

I fined added K-meta in preparation of bottling in a couple of week. I did use the vacuum pump and believe it or not, 3 days later there is no airlock or bubbling in that last carboy. It does have a slightly different taste then the other 4 gallons of peach wine because of the peach/white grape skeeter pee.

I did NOT have the vacuum pump when I transferred the pee to another carboy.

Yes I am convinced the vacuum pump works because that last bottle 750ml of SP was over a year old with just an airlock.

Last edited:
Sorry Tony, but I don't think that I have. But I'm a kit wine maker. As Robie pointed out that makes a difference over wines from grapes, but I don't think it should over fresh juice pails.

Steve

Here's a forum topic I started in June, entitled, "No Gas? Can it be?" about degassing naturally:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/no-gas-can-32207/

I didn't think so either, until it happened.

Here's a forum topic I started in June, entitled, "No Gas? Can it be?" about degassing naturally:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/no-gas-can-32207/

I didn't think so either, until it happened.

I am not saying it CAN'T, I am just saying it never does for me. I have had kits that for one reason or another, didn't seem to have much gas, even in right after fermentation. Others, just a simple stir of the carboy would send a wine volcano shutting up. For reasons like that, making wine never ceases to entertain me.

Aging Wine

So far, I have read on this website that aging the wine can take care of several problems:
1. You don't have to sweeten as much if you age the wine
2. improves taste
4. High acid levels are reduced by aging in cold temp.

What other wine issues is helped by aging?
Aging will surely help clarity.

Interesting observations by all of you. Just to add to the confusion, I have never degassed my wines. Never stirred, never put them under a vacuum pump (yet). Splash racked, maybe. Filtered sometimes. Mine usually stay in the carboy for 8 months to 2 years before bottling. I've never had any noticeable CO2 gas left in my wines. And they have all aged in my basement ranging from 60-70 degrees. I think chemistry and physics would support the notion that a gas will eventually be released from the wine due to thermodynamics. All that being said, I will try the experiment to see if I have noticeable degassing if I put some of my wines under vacuum.

Aging will surely help clarity.

Absolutely. And I assumed the original poster was talking about aging in bulk, not the bottle. I was at the liquor store today and was quite embarrassed to see some bottles from a couple local wineries that were obviously not aged. They had sediments, were cloudy and looked disgusting. These were fruit wines, not grape wines and in my opinion they must be crystal clear for someone to buy them.

Cloudy wines with sediments for sale? oh no that should not be.Somebody was obviously in a hurry.....One important ingredient in making wine is TIME!!!!

One important ingredient in making wine is TIME!!!!

some of you members may be too young, but i am sure a lot of us do remember orson welles in the old paul masson commercials...."we will sell no wine before it's time"....i do perhaps believe this could have been part of what was being eluded to, although i was just a kid at the time and did not understand....now that i have made wine, i fully understand...hence after "sanitation, sanitation, sanitation", being rule number one in wine making, "PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE", is rule number two....

In other words, wine making is not an "exact science" (ie., in wine making 2 +2 does not always equal 4)
I believe you have stumbled upon a great truth. There are just too many variables involved to call our wine making "exact science".
2 + 2 may equal 4 1/8.
For the most part, the end product will be acceptable. Which is what we look for.
To attempt to exactly duplicate a commercial wine is probably not going to happen. But the fun is in trying!
Or just come up with something like Skeeter Pee and ENJOY.:db

Latest posts

Back